CCOE approves Indicative Generation Capacity Expansion Plan 2021-30

ISLAMABAD   –  The Cabinet Committee on Energy (CCOE) on Thursday approved Indicative Generation Capacity Expansion Plan 2021-30 (IGCEP) which envisions generating 25264MW electricity, mostly from local resources, and will increase the ratio of indigenous fuel-based generation via-a-vis imported fuel from the current 69% to 87%.

The Indicative Generation Capacity Expansion Plan 2021-30(IGCEP) was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Energy (CCOE) that met under the chairmanship of the Federal Minister for Planning, Development, and Special Initiatives Asad Umar here.

Power Division presented the Indicative Generation Capacity Expansion Plan – known as IGCEP 2021-30, prepared by the National Transmission and Dispatch Company (NTDC) as per National Electricity Policy (NEP) approved by the CCI. 

As per the plan 87% of the total capacity increase from 2022 to 2030 will come from indigenous fuel and the remaining 13 percent projects which were committed prior to this government came into power will come from imported fuel. 

Currently the fossil fuel has 51% share of generation capacity, however, the IGCEP envisioned that the share of fossil will be decreased to 25% by 2022-2030. Therefore, all the new project commitments will be based on indigenous fuel.

IGCEP envisions the commissioning of a portfolio of new generation projects of 25,264 MW by the year 2030, mainly from hydropower, Thar coal-based projects, K-3 nuclear power plant, solar and wind-based renewable energy projects.

Under the approved IGCEP the generation mix of 2022 which is dominated by fossil fuel will shift to clean energy (hydel, solar, wind, nuclear) by the year 2030. Moreover, for the same period, the indigenous fuel-based generation against the imported fuel-based generation is going to improve from 69 % to 87 % of the total fuel-based generation. 

As per the Power Division, major chunk of the new proposed generation plan (2021-2030) is based on hydropower 13161MW, followed by local coal 2970MW, wind 2708MW, solar 1566MW, nuclear 1145MW, LNG 1263MW,cross border 1000MW, imported coal 960MW and bagasse 491MW.

After detailed consultations with all the provincial governments, the CCoE approved the IGCEP 2021-30. All the federal and provincial projects already under implementation will be completed as per the commitments. 

There was consensus on the principle of new generation capacity addition only based on the least-cost basis. Such planning will target optimum future capacity addition at the most affordable cost, ensuring the cheapest electricity for consumers.

CCoE also was briefed by the FIA on the progress of the investigation of the shortage of petroleum products in the country in June 2020. The CCoE expressed its concerns over the delay in report finalization. FIA briefed the Committee on the progress made so far and ensured that substantial progress on findings will be shared with CCoE by end of September.

The meeting was attended by Minister for Finance, Minister for Interior, Minister for Energy, Minister for Maritime Affairs, Minister for Railways, Minister for S& T, Finance Minister KP, SAPM on Power, Petroleum & Revenue. Representatives of regulatory authorities and senior officials of Ministries/Divisions also participated in the meeting.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More