MULTAN: Poisonous sweet killed at least seven residents of a village while 40 others, all from Fatehpur Chak No-105 M.L. of Layyah district, got severely affected and were rushed to different hospitals for treatment today.

Police sources said that the victims had taken poisonous sweet on Tuesday and three of them died at their homes while four at Nishtar Hospital. The condition of eight affectees at the Nishtar Hospital is stated to be precarious.

Sources disclosed that the samples of the killer sweet were sent for lab examination and the outlet was sealed. The owner of the sweet shop escaped after the incident but his brother namely Khalid Mahmood was arrested.

The residents of the area told journalists that one Muhammad Sajjad celebrated the birth of his first child and distributed sweet in the village bought from the shop. “As soon as the people took the sweet, their condition started deteriorating. Three persons died due to delay in treatment while 27 others including 10 children, two women and 15 men were rushed to Nishtar Hospital Multan,” the residents added.

The Medical Superintendent of Nishtar Hospital Dr. Ashiq Malik told media that four persons died at the hospital while the remaining were being treated. Those who died at the hospital included Khizar Hayat, 25, Shahbaz, 13, Muhammad Ramzan, 22 and Muhammad Irfan 22.  Hospital sources said that the condition of eight affectees was critical. The affectees being treated at Nishtar Hospital included Sher Muhammad, Bashir Ahmad, Umar Hayat, Sikandar Hayat, Zahida bibi, Muhammad Ameen, Muhammad Irshad, Zahida, Irfan, Bilal, Farzana, Iram, Muhammad Sajjad, Haseeb, Sarwar Ali, Hamza, Ayesha, Sanwal, Adnan Ali, Hasnain Ali, Akbar Ali and Ismail.

The reports reaching here from Layyah disclosed that the EDO Health Layyah visited the affected village along with police officials and issued order for sending the affectees to hospitals for treatment. The EDO also sent for examination the samples of sweet taken from the suspected shop and the house of the affected family. Layyah police registered a case against the accused shopkeeper and raids were being conducted to arrest him.

Meanwhile, the funeral prayer of the deceased was held in Layyah and they were laid to rest in local cemetery.