WASHINGTON - An American sanitation worker in the northwestern United States has been sentenced to seven years and three months in prison for helping people linked to a 2009 suicide attack at Pakistan’s intelligence service headquarters in Lahore, according to prosecutors.

Judge Michael Mosman of the District of Oregon sentenced Reaz Qadir Khan, 51, a naturalised US citizen living in Portland, Oregon, to 87 months in prison in connection with the attack that killed approximately 30 people and injured some 300 more.

Reaz Khan Khan, originally from Pakistan, did not speak at Friday’s sentencing before Judge Mosman.

Assistant Attorney General for National Security John Carlin, Acting US Attorney Billy Williams of the District of Oregon and Special Agent in Charge Greg Bretzing of the FBI’s Portland Division, made the announcement, according to a government press release.

Khan previously entered a guilty plea admitting that he acted as an accessory after the fact to the crime of providing material support to terrorists, it said. In entering his plea, Khan admitted arranging for the delivery of approximately $2,450 to Maldivian Ali Jaleel, one of the suicide bombers responsible for the May 27, 2009, attack. Khan also admitted to providing advice and financial assistance to Jaleel’s wives after the bombing, while knowing that providing such assistance would hinder and prevent the apprehension of Jaleel’s wives and others who may have helped in the attack.

The 87-month sentence was jointly recommended by the parties and concludes a lengthy investigation of Khan’s connection to the attack, the press release said.

Khan’s financial support allowed Jaleel to attend a training camp to prepare for the attack on Inter-Services Intelligence headquarters in Lahore. The Pakistani government said at the time of the car bomb attack that it was carried out in apparent revenge for an army offensive against Taliban militants in that nation’s northwestern Swat region.

US prosecutors said a video released by Al-Qaeda soon afterward showed Jaleel taking responsibility for the attack, as well preparing at a training camp believed to be in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas of Pakistan.

“With today’s sentence, the court held the defendant accountable and made it clear that no community should be subjected to the dangers posed by those seeking to assist violent extremists whether here or abroad,” Acting US Attorney Williams said. “Today’s result would not have been possible without the hard work of the dedicated professionals in the law enforcement and intelligence communities. I look forward to our continued work with Muslim communities in Oregon who are committed to ensuring that all people are safe from the threat of violent extremism.”

“The threads of violent extremism are weaving a path through many American cities,” Special Agent in Charge Bretzing said. “As in the Khan case, sometimes that path leads to those who are willing to fund activities overseas. In other instances, the path leads to homegrown extremists who are willing to commit heinous acts or to those who inspire them to do so. As the threat becomes more insidious and difficult to track, we rely on our shared community to come forward to help us identify and isolate those who would do harm to our nation. I would ask anyone with information about potential threats to call their local FBI office.”

The case was investigated by the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force. The prosecution was handled by Assistant US Attorneys Ethan D Knight and Charles Gorder of the US Attorney’s Office in the District of Oregon. Trial Attorney David P Cora from the Counterterrorism Section of the Depart of Justice’s National Security Division assisted.