QUETTA - At least nine coal miners were killed and over 50 others trapped when two explosions took place inside a mine in Surange area, some 40km east of Quetta in the wee hours of Sunday. Pak Army has been called into rescue the trapped miners. Official sources said that about 52 miners were busy in extracting coal from Pakistan Mineral Development Corporation (PMDC) mine in Surrange, some 1,100 metres underground in the mine when poisonous gas accumulated in poorly ventilated mine causing two huge blasts inside the mine. As a result, mine caved in while all the miners were trapped inside the mine. Following the blasts, rescue work was started and a rescue team was dispatched to the site from Quetta. Talking to the media, Muhammad Ifitkhar, provincial Chief Inspector of Mines said 9 bodies were recovered from the mine so far while efforts were underway to rescue rest of the trapped miners. 'Miners were killed of suffocation, still a huge quantity of gas is causing difficulties in rescue work, he said, adding, that it might take two days to remove debris. Iftikar said that Provincial Mines Department some 15 days back had warned that work in that mine should be stopped because it leaked gases which could be dangerous any time but despite this administration did not stop the work. Sources said that death toll could be high because chances of survival of missing workers were slim. Some bodies which were retrieved from mine were identified as Sherzada, Noor-ul-Ameen, Suleman, Muhammad Anwar, Shahmaroom and Khuda-e-Dad. Army has been called to help rescue workers and to remove debris and retrieve bodies. 'Rescue teams have reached the site while rescue work is underway,Mushtaq Raisani, Secretary Mines and Mineral said. Chief Minister Balochistan Nawab Muhammad Aslam Raisani expressed his grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives and ordered for formation of an inquiry committee to probe into the incident. He directed Secretary Mines for immediately starting rescue work besides ensuring provision of all facilities to injured miners and extending cooperation with the family members of deceased miners. Provincial Minister for Minerals Mir Abdul Rehman Mengal termed the incident negligence of PDMA, saying a team of Mineral Department had surveyed the affected mine sometimes back and submitted a report that work on this mine should be stopped forthwith. 'PDMA did not take this warning seriously owing to which this sad incident occurred, he added. He said that provincial government had formed an Inquiry Committee which would submit its report within a month and in light of this report action would be taken against PDMA.