ISLAMABAD - The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Balochistan Wednesday submitted a report on missing persons in the Supreme Court of Pakistan.

A three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad was hearing the Balochistan law and order case.

According to the report, 10 military personnel are accused of abducting the missing persons. “Some 18 missing persons have returned home safe and sound but 48 persons yet to be traced. Following the statements of 12 missing persons, after they returned home, the Balochistan police asked the Frontier Corps to trace the whereabouts of culprits. Among the accused army men, there are two Lt Colonels, six Majors and two Subedars,” said the report submitted by DIG CID Balochistan Feroze Shah in the SC.

The report further stated that the FC personnel assured that they would extend full cooperation for the completion of investigation and the recovery of missing persons. According to FC men some of the officers did not belong to the organisation and others had gone back to Pakistan Army.

The Supreme Court was informed that according to the new electoral lists, number of voters in Dera Bugti had drastically decreased from 95,000 to 64,000, therefore, the provincial government was considering restoring the old electoral lists of 2008.

Counsel for Balochistan government Shahid Hamid informed the bench that provincial government was convening tribal jirga, which would be useful for creating pleasant atmosphere for general elections.

The bench was informed that provincial government had declared eight districts, including Quetta, Kalat, Khuzdar, Dera Bugti, Panjgur, Gawadar, Turbat and Awaran, as most sensitive.

The Supreme Court was also informed that Babar Yaqoob Fateh Muhammad, who was sent on forced leave, has been restored as chief secretary Balochistan.

Shahid Hamid, Counsel for the provincial government said, “Sending Babar Yaqoob on forced leave by the chief minister was de-notified and apart from performing duties of maintaining law and law he would ensure free and fair elections in Balochistan.

Balochistan High Court (BHC) President Zahoor Ahmad Shawani, expressing apprehension regarding the increase in number of missing persons in the province, told the bench that extreme unrest was witnessed in Makran Division, as people had no access to means of communications to get information about current affairs.

He stated that newspapers and TV cable were banned in these areas. The learned counsel also informed that residents of Turbat were facing threats regarding their participation in upcoming elections.

During the proceeding, the chief justice said that though he had not received any letter from President Balochistan National Party Sardar Akhtar Mengal but he read the contents of his letter in newspaper in which he (Akhtar Mengal) had expressed concerns about law and order situation in the province.  The CJ said that they were considering a meeting at Quetta registry for this purpose.

Inspector General Balochistan Mushtaq Sukhaira informed the court that provincial police had traced out black sheep within its department, who had links with terrorists and now they were proceeding against them. It was also told that police had arrested some accused persons, who were involved in the killings of Hazara community in two incidents.

The chief secretary had assured that upcoming elections in all areas would be held on same day peacefully and he held several meetings with different political parties’ leaders in this regard. He also stated that the government would provide full security to the politicians during the election campaign. He also told that he was coordinating with different intelligent agencies regarding the recovery of missing persons.

Likewise, Home Secretary Balochistan Akbar Durani told the bench that the government had issued Rs100 millions to compensate the heirs of Hazara community people, who had been died in two terrorist incidents.

He also told that heirs were divided in two categories like Pakistanis and non-Pakistanis. Upon this, the bench has directed the provincial government to give compensation to all heirs without any discrimination.

The IGP Balochistan told the bench that police would provide full security to all politicians during general elections. He stated that 1,000 persons would be recruited in the department within one month. IG told that they were doing on several plans to uplift the provincial police.

The hearing of the case is adjourned till April 4.