UNITED NATIONS - ‘Enough is enough,’ UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said in a video message addressed to Israeli and Palestinian people recorded from Bratislava in Slovakia, where he travelled this week to open an exhibition for the commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the United Nations.

“I am dismayed, as we all should be, when I see young people, children, picking up weapons and seeking to kill,” he said. The UN chief’s message comes in the wake of an uptick in violence since early September. A series of ever-more deadly clashes between Palestinians and Israelis, including Israeli security forces, has marked much of October, with incidents reported in more than 50 different locations, including in East Jerusalem, Ramallah, Hebron, Bethlehem, Jenin, Tulkarm and Nablus. In the video, the secretary-general first addressed Palestinian youth. “I understand your frustration. I know your hopes for peace have been dashed countless times,” he said. “You are angry at the continued occupation and expansion of settlements. Many of you are disappointed in your leaders and in us, the international community, because of our inability to end this occupation.” “I am not asking you to be passive, but you must put down the weapons of despair,” he added.

The secretary-general also wished to speak to Palestinian leaders and asked them to “harness the energy of [their] people in a peaceful way to make their dreams and aspirations a reality.”

Ban added that this can only happen by “establishing a Palestinian state living side by side in peace with Israel, not through the violent acts we have been witnessing.” The secretary-general then spoke to Israelis and said he appreciates their “genuine concern about peace and security” and understands their anger.

“When children are afraid to go to school, when anyone on the street is a potential victim, security is rightly your immediate priority,” he said. “But walls, checkpoints, harsh responses by the security forces and house demolitions cannot sustain the peace and safety that you need and must have.” Meanwhile, Israeli troops early Tuesday destroyed the West Bank home of a Palestinian jailed for killing a Jewish settler in a knife attack late last year, the army said.

The demolition of the home of Maher al-Hashlamoun in the flashpoint city of Hebron was accompanied by clashes between dozens of Palestinian stone throwers and Israeli soldiers but there were no casualties, witnesses said.

Hashlamoun, a member of radical group Islamic Jihad, was given two life sentences by a military court in March for the November 10, 2014 murder of Dalia Lemkus, 26, and the attempted murder of two other people on a road in the Gush Etzion settlement bloc, south of Jerusalem.

An Israeli was run over by a vehicle and killed on Tuesday when he got out of his car on a West Bank road after Palestinians threw stones towards it, the army said. Details of the incident were unclear, including why the man stopped and got out, and whether any stones had actually struck his car. The driver of the vehicle that hit him was believed to have left the scene, but local media said he turned himself into Palestinian police later and said the crash was an accident.