MULTAN

The funds released for the extension project of Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi Institute of Cardiology might lapse again due to the negligence of Buildings Department as the contractor working on site has disappeared after digging just some ditches at the site, The Nation has learnt.

Sources said that funds worth Rs260 million had been released for the project but the fears have risen after disappearance of the contractor. The same amount (Rs260 million) had lapsed last year when the contractor slipped away just a few days after the launching the project. Sources claimed that the contractors did not start work on the project because of kickback issues. “When they (contractors) fail to settle the ratio of kickback with the officers of Buildings Department, they run away,” sources claimed.

However, the Buildings Department officers dispelled the impression that the contractor left because of them. “The cause of delay in the project is Planning and Development Department Punjab. They have not approved construction plan for three-storey basement so far,” claimed Asif Sahu, Superintending Engineer, Buildings Department. He added that the work would be resumed on the project as soon as the approval was received.

Sources at Cardiology institute have revealed that a seven-storey building with three-storey basement will be constructed under the project. The contractor had to dig the earth 36 foot deep and erect pillars for this purpose but he fled after doing mere eight foot digging.

SCHOOLBOY SUSTAINED BULLET INJURY

A schoolboy sustained a bullet injury when a stray bullet hit him while studying in Government High School Taraggar in precincts of Basti Malook Police on Tuesday.

The injured boy was identified as Ameer Hamza, student of 9th class. He was rushed to Nishtar Hospital where his condition is out of danger.

Police suspected that two groups quarrelled outside the school and fired aerial shots. “Probably one of the bullets hit the boy,” suspected a police officer. The incident panicked the students and the school administration sent them back home.

The DCO Zahid Saleem Gondal and education officials rushed to the school and then hospital to inquire about the health of the injured boy. Police said that the investigation was underway and the accused, who fired shot, would be caught soon.