ISLAMABAD - Pakistan yesterday summoned Indian deputy high commissioner to protest against the recent Line of Control violations by India resulting in death of a civilian.

A foreign office statement said: “The Indian deputy high commissioner was called in by the Director General (SA & Saarc) today. A strong protest was lodged against the unprovoked ceasefire violations on 19-20 October 2016 by the Indian occupation forces at the LoC in Karaila Sector, which resulted in martyrdom of a civilian Abdul Rehman aged 28. Twelve civilians including children and women were injured as a result of the Indian fire.”

The statement said Pakistan conveyed to India that it must investigate the incident and share the findings with Pakistan.

“India must instruct its troops to respect the ceasefire in letter and spirit and refrain from intentionally targeting the villages and maintain peace and stability on the LoC,” the statement said.

It added: “Pakistan notes with deep concern that during the last couple of months, there have been a number of ceasefire violations from the Indian side on the LoC and the Working Boundary.”

Agencies add: A protest letter was handed over to the deputy high commissioner JP Singh which states India had been consistently violating the ceasefire.

Meanwhile, Corps Commander Lt-Gen Malik Zafar Iqbal visited LoC at Nakiyal and Karaila sectors on Thursday.  According to a statement issued by ISPR, Gen Zafar Iqbal met troops, appreciated their high morale and daring response against Indian unprovoked firing. The corps commander also met injured civilians at hospital and offered condolences to the family of martyred civilian Abdul Rehman who breathed his last due to Indian firing on Wednesday.