ISLAMABAD - Pakistan yesterday said it did not fire a single shot across the Line of Control – rubbishing the Indians’ claim that it opened fire on their positions. Foreign Office spokesman Nafees Zakaria said that Pakistan was committed to peace and had never violated the LoC.

Earlier, Indian Army spokesman Colonel Rajesh Kalia alleged there had been a “ceasefire violation” near Uri, where the weekend’s attack took place, but gave no further details. Uri is near the LoC which divides the disputed territory. Occasional violations of a 2003 ceasefire between the nuclear-armed rivals are not uncommon. The last was reported on September 6 this year and caused no casualties.

Nafees Zakaria said there was an activity on the Indian side but Pakistan exercised maximum restraint. “There seems an activity from the other side of the border but on our side, it’s completely calm. We have not fired a single shot,” he said.

In Azad Kashmir’s capital Muzaffarabad, a Pakistani colonel said there was no firing along the border. Both sides were on high alert and strengthening their positions, he said.

Talking to Reuters, FO spokesman Nafees Zakaria reiterated that no shot had been fired by Pakistan, after Indian television channels said troops of both countries had exchanged fire.

Officials said at least 57 Pakistani citizens were killed and 225 injured in Indian firing on the LoC during last two years. One official said: “At least 278 unprovoked firing incidents had been reported by Indian forces in 2015 in which 39 citizens were killed and 150 were injured in Indian firing.” He said Indian forces had violated LoC for 44 times in year 2016.

Separately, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan said that Pakistan cannot be cowed down through hurling of threats by India. He said that Pakistan would not step back from its moral, political and diplomatic support to Kashmiri people.