Quetta - Unidentified gunman killed two people, including a local leader of Awami National Party, and injured another near Quetta on Sunday, sources said. However, in a quick retribution the attacker was shot dead by an angry mob that chased him down.

Levies sources said an unidentified attacker on a motorbike opened fire at ANP’s Killi Karbala unit in Pishin district, killing two people and wounding another. Mustafa Agha, president of the ANP unit, and his companion Naqibullah were shot dead and Muhammad Khan was injured.

Witnesses said people ran after the attacker and gunned him down after he took refuge in a house. The dead gunman however could not be identified until the filing of this report.

A contingent of law enforcers rushed to the site and shifted the dead and the injured to Civil Hospital. The other victim was identified as Naqeeb Aghan, and the injured as Khan Muhammad.

A case has been registered and investigation is underway to ascertain the motive behind the attack.

In another incident, a daughter of Kharan deputy election commissioner was wounded in a hand grenade attack in Guwash area. According to Kharan SHO Ishtiaq Ahmed, unknown persons threw a hand grenade at the house of Kharan Deputy Election Commissioner Muhammad Hashim. As a result, a teenage daughter of Hashim sustained injuries. “The injured was shifted to the district headquarters hospital for medical aid,” he said, adding the attackers fled after committing the offence.

Earlier, the offices of the Election Commission were also attacked with hand grenades in various towns of Balochistan. Just a week ago a security guard of the Election Commission office in Kharan was injured in a similar hand grenade attack.

Meanwhile, a corner meeting of National Party (NP) was attacked with a hand grenade on Sunday in Turbat, which damaged a few vehicles, but no causalities were reported.

National Party Information Secretary Jan Buledi said a corner meeting of the party was underway in Turbat in the high security zone, known as Commissionerate Road, where around 300 to 400 workers, including the party president, Dr Malik Baloch, Mir Akram Dashti, Azeem Baloch and others, were present. He said the premises where the attack was carried out had also been designed as the election cell of the party and, unlike usual party gatherings, this gathering was organised in a different corner of the premises. He said no casualties occurred as a result of the attack, however, some vehicles were damaged.

He said the party condemned the attack and considered such acts as an act to sabotage the democratic process. “The party’s election cell is located in the high-security zone where the FC camp and the SSP office are at arms’ length and, to the bewilderment of all of us, the security zone was broken and the attack carried out on the party meeting,” he said and added the government had fully failed to provide an atmosphere conducive to the political parties for campaign. “We respect others and others should also respect our way of struggle,” Jan Buledi concluded.

Meanwhile, the NP activists staged a demonstration outside the Quetta Press Club to condemn the hand grenade attack on the party’s meeting and demanded arrest of those responsible for the incident.

Staff Reporter from Karachi adds: At least 12 people were injured when some unidentified armed men attacked an election office of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement in Kharadar.

DIG Shahid Hayyat said the assailants targeted the MQM office but they failed to do so due to security measures in the area. Afterwards, they threw hand grenades close to the office and managed to flee from the spot.  As a result, about a dozen people sustained injuries. They injured identified as Fayyaz, Noman, Younas, Shami, Rahim, Hanif, Farhan, Shamish, Qayyum, Shakil and Ahmed, were rushed to Civil Hospital, Karachi.

Meanwhile, police found mortar bombs from a graveyard in Quaidabad area. Further investigation is underway.