QUETTA - Fourteen Frontier Corps personnel, including a Major, were killed and 11 others were wounded when they came under attack by miscreants in Musakhel district, about 400 kilometres southeast of the provincial capital, Monday. Defunct Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) claimed the responsibility for the attack, saying: Over 40 security personnel have been killed in the ambush. According to sources, dozens of militants attacked the FC personnel when they were heading to Bahlowal village in Musakhel district to assume the security duty of a mining project. According to reports, eight attackers were killed when the security forces retaliated against the attack. Fourteen FC personnel, including a major, were killed and several others sustained serious wounds, a spokesman for FC said in a statement. Some of the deceased were identified as Major Amir Shezhad, Subedar Daud, Lance Naik Mukaram and Hafiz Muhammad Rafiq. The deceased and injured were shifted to the Quetta CMH through helicopter. We strongly condemned the indiscriminate firing on troops who were on their way for peaceful arrangements in connection with development of economy and education in the area, the statement said, adding the blood of martyrs would not go waste and the anti-state elements would not be allowed to succeed in their designs. FC Spokesman Murtaza Baig told the media the deceased were from Punjab and Khyber-Pakthunkwa and their bodies had been dispatched to their native towns for burial. Calling from undisclosed location via satellite phone, a spokesman for the defunct BLA said that over 40 security personnel were killed in the attack. He added that the BLA fighters also destroyed heavy machinery of security personnel. According to sources, a heavy contingent of security men was sent to the area and the firefight continued. The forces have launched a massive search operation in the area to net militants, they added. On the other hand, a spokesman of Baloch National Voice said: The security forces have launched a search operation in Chamalang and its adjacent areas and arrested dozens of innocent people. Sources said in another incident, militants fired over 30 rockets at the checkpoints in Chamalang. However, no casualty was reported in the attack. It was one of the deadliest attacks on security personnel in Balochistan in recent past. There are several private coalmines in Musakhel district bordering Barkhan, which were closed due to local tribal disputes. After the intervention of security forces, the disputes were settled. In August, Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani inaugurated a project and the work on the plane began with security provided by the Army. However, Baloch militant group BLA has warned the locals to avoid transporting coal of Balochistan to other provinces and had carried out dozens of attack on the vehicles carrying coal to Punjab.