MULTAN - A state official disclosed on Friday that out of 11,000 applications received by the District Revenue Committee from citizens claiming to be flood affectees, just 380 turned out to be the real affectees while rest of all applications were fake. The District Coordination Officer (DCO) Zahid Saleem Gondal told the journalists that no more application for flood relief assistance would be received after November 25 as over 90 per cent affectees had already been paid compensation. He disclosed that the district administration utilized satellite technology to assess volume of destruction and sent the assessment data to the provincial disaster management authority.
He said that the provincial government had allocated Rs1.5 billion for the flood affectees of Multan district and the funds were utilised for the payment of compensation money to the flood victims. He said that the flood ruined 12,800 houses and standing crops on 28,700 acres of land. He said that Rs40,000 were paid to the owners of affected houses and Rs10,000 per acre to the farmers against their ruined crops in the second phase.
He reiterated that the payment process was transparent and not even a single complaint of corruption or irregularity was received. He said that the teams of district government went door to door and made pictures of affected homes which were sent to the disaster management authority.