MISRATA (AFP) - Muammar Gaddafi was dragged wounded, bloody but alive from his vehicle, only to be announced dead by his captors, shrouding his death in mystery and casting a disturbing pall on Friday over their victory. South African President Jacob Zuma on Friday said slain Libyan strongman Muammar Gaddafi should have been handed to the international war crimes court after his capture. "It was expected that Muammar Gaddafi would be held if he was caught," said Zuma who was part of a high-level African Union panel that failed to mediate a ceasefire in Libya. "Those who caught him should have known that there was an international warrant out against him and that he should have been handed over to the International Criminal Court. It is difficult to judge what happened because one doesn't have all the details," said Zuma at a briefing after talks with his counterpart from Equatorial Guinea President Teodoro Obiang Nguema. "Those fighting for democracy in Libya would have been happier if Gaddafi had been handed over to the ICC." South Africa on Thursday pledged to support Libya's new leaders and reiterated calls for an inclusive political process in Libya ahead of the north African state's first democratic polls as the key to lasting peace. South Africa's ruling party's young wing on Friday saluted Libya's slain former leader Muammar Gaddafi calling him an "anti-imperialist martyr" and a fighter against the recolonisation of the African continent. "Brother leader resisted imperialist domination of the African continent and never agreed to the continued draining of natural resources from beneath African soil," the ANC Youth League said in a statement. "That he was killed in combat is an inspiration to many freedom fighters across the continent and the world, particularly to the generation of economic freedom fighters," it said. Russia on Friday said a convoy carrying Muammar Gaddafi posed no danger to civilians when attacked by Nato jets and questioned other circumstances of the Libyan strongman's violent death. Foreign Minister Lavrov added sternly that Western leaders were premature in celebrating the veteran dictator's death because its circumstances breached basic international law. "The way his death happened poses an entire number of questions," Lavrov said in a live radio interview. "Nato's actions are also of interest to us from the perspective of international law." Lavrov said he heard French Defence Minister Gerard Longuet say that the Nato jet firing the missile that took out Gaddafi's vehicle "intended to stop and not destroy" the convoy. While Nato denied the fact and said it was unaware that Muammar Gaddafi was travelling in a convoy struck by alliance aircraft near Sirte the previous day. "At the time of the strike, Nato did not know that Gaddafi was in the convoy," Nato said in a lengthy statement. "We later learned from open sources and Allied intelligence that Gaddafi was in the convoy." In a statement dated from its Naples headquarters, the alliance said it had now "had the opportunity to conduct a post strike assessment of yesterday's strike" and could provide the following picture of events. Nato aircraft struck 11 pro-Gaddafi vehicles at around 1030 GMT on Thursday that were part of a larger group of approximately 75 vehicles manoeuvring in the vicinity of Sirte. "These armed vehicles were leaving Sirte at high speed and were attempting to force their way around the outskirts of the city. The vehicles were carrying a substantial amount of weapons and ammunition posing a significant threat to the local civilian population. The convoy was engaged by a Nato aircraft to reduce the threat." The statement went on to say that initially only one vehicle was destroyed, but that disrupted the convoy "and resulted in many vehicles dispersing and changing direction." A group of approximately 20 vehicles "continued at great speed to proceed in a southerly direction, due west of Sirte, and continuing to pose a significant threat. Nato engaged these vehicles with another air asset." Nato's post strike assessment "revealed that approximately 10 pro-Gaddafi vehicles were destroyed or damaged," it added. "At the time of the strike, Nato did not know that Gaddafi was in the convoy. Nato's intervention was conducted solely to reduce the threat towards the civilian population, as required to do under our UN mandate. As a matter of policy, Nato does not target individuals. "We later learned from open sources and Allied intelligence that Gaddafi was in the convoy and that the strike likely contributed to his capture." The statement ended by refusing to detail which countries supplied which of the planes involved in the strikes.