LAHORE - The police are yet to make any formal arrest of the accused detained in brutal assault of a five-year-old girl, though investigators went through four different footages taken from CCTV cameras since Sunday.

The police said two men, identified as Zafar Iqbal alias Shama and a ward-boy of the hospital, are being interrogated.

The investigators said they believe that both men are prime suspects but none of them has confessed to his involvement in the heinous crime so far. The police have also failed to unearth the rapists. The mystery is becoming more complicated, thanks to diligent investigators.

On the other hand, the rape victim is recovering fast in the hospital, where doctors are considering her third surgery.

During investigation, the police went through the footage taken from four different CCTV cameras installed in the hospital premises and one in the Mughalpura locality, from where the girl along with her minor cousin went missing.

As per the video recordings collected so far, the girl and her three-year-old cousin were abducted by unidentified car-riders from outside their house in the Ghousia Colony.

Meanwhile, a man wearing white Shalwar Kamis is seen entering the hospital while carrying a baby boy, said to be the cousin of the victim. The police said the man seen in the footage could be ward-boy of the hospital. He was seen shaking hands with the hospital staff, indicating the officials were familiar with him. The same person then dropped the minor boy near the parking lot and disappeared from the scene.

The fourth and latest footage shows that a security guard of the Ganga Ram Hospital, carrying the unconscious victim, passes through corridor of the Gynecology Ward of the Hospital at 7:34 pm on Friday.

A police investigator who examined the footage said that the main accused dropped the girl in the parking-lot outside administration-block at 6:43 pm.

Police investigators said they were working on “every aspect” of the case and were confident the accused would be captured soon though no formal arrest has been made in this case despite eight days.

“We are still working on this case. The criminals are neither identified nor arrested yet,” said Omar Virk, SP CIA police on Saturday.

The youngest of nine siblings was found dumped in the parking lot of the Sir Ganga Ram hospital on September 13. The brutal assault triggered nationwide protests and condemnations as demonstrators called to hang the accused publicly and pressing the government to adopt adequate measures to fend off such happenings.

Police investigators are still waiting for the DNA report to identify the prime suspect from several men detained in connection with the brutal assault on five-year-old girl.