The Sindh assembly members do not want to build any dams on the Indus River. Tarbela dam was thrust upon them by Ayub Khan, they have passed resolutions against Kalabagh dam, and many of them do not want even Bhasha dam although it is not in Punjab. What will happen if there were to be no dams on the Indus?

88 percent of the water in the Indus will flow past Sindh in the three flood months, leaving only 12 percent for the remaining nine months. There will be too much water from June to early September. The canals in Sindh will not be able to take this water, the Indus will overflow its banks causing floods, and a very large quantity of precious water will go to waste.

The flow below Kotri will be useful only if it is spread over the twelve months. A very large amount over three months and little or none over the remaining nine months will not provide year round protection to the delta, sea incursion will keep taking place during the lean period. On the other hand, 88 percent of the water having been used up or wasted, only 12 percent will remain for irrigation for six month Rabi period (Oct to Mar) and the three month early Kharif period (Apr to Jun). It is obvious that there will be severe shortages in both these periods, impacting very badly on national food production and food inflation as also on poverty.

It is only by storing the surplus flood water from end June to early September, that the demand for the Rabi and early Kharif periods can be met adequately. The more you store, the better. We need more dams and quickly. In the interest of the country and its 19 crore people, someone should tell the assembly members these home truths.

ENGR KHURSHID ANWER,

Lahore, September 20.