KARACHI (AFP) Injury-plagued paceman Shoaib Akhtar said Thursday he dreams of winning the World Cup for Pakistan next year, despite a series of setbacks and scandals that have kept him out of the game. The 34-year-old paceman, who has not played for the Pakistan national team since May last year, took 6-52 in a domestic one-day match on Wednesday night, furthering his comeback campaign. I am fit and bowling in rhythm, Akhtar told reporters. I know the problems I have faced in my career, but the dream to feature in the final of the 2011 World Cup in Mumbai is still alive and I want to help Pakistan win the World Cup in a years time. India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh will host the tenth World Cup between February and April next year. Akhtars 13-year career has been plagued by injuries and discipline problems, the latest of which ended in a record fine of seven million rupees (83,000 dollars) in February. He was originally banned for five years in April 2008 on charges of violating the players code of conduct. The ban was reduced to 18 months by an appeals committee, which levied the massive financial penalty. Akhtar appealed against the ban and fine in the Lahore High Court. The court suspended the ban, allowing him to play again, but upheld the fine. I dont want to live in the past. Now I am fit and playing and have proved my fitness. My performance has never been in doubt, so its now up to the selectors when they give me a chance, said Akhtar. Akhtar was left out of Pakistans World Twenty20 squad last month and was also expelled from the list of contracted players. I have experience which is precious and my competition is only with myself, said Akhtar, who is focusing on Pakistans six Test matches in England between July and September this year. I know I have suffered fitness problems but all fast bowlers suffer with that. I am still focused and want to play for Pakistan and finish on a high. Akhtar impresses chief selector Pakistans chief selector Mohsin Hasan Khan on Thursday said that controversial fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar could be considered for the upcoming tour of England in summers if he continues to perform well in the domestic tournaments. Akhtar, who has always been in the news for wrong reasons and out of team for majority of the time due to his fitness, has been considered a burden on the team rather than a relief. Mohsin, who watched Shoaibs bowling on Wednesday in the Pentangular Cup One-Day Tournament against Peshawar, where he returned with the figure of six for 52, said the pacer stands a realistic chance of returning to the international arena. If he continues to play well regularly at the domestic and club level and proves his fitness and form, he could be considered for the English tour, Mohsin was quoted as saying. We have not written him off completely. He should be grateful to the PCB that it has given him a chance to win back his place in the national team, he said. With Wednesdays performance, Shoaib is now the leading wicket taker in the Pentangular tournament. Pakistan is due to tour England from late June onwards to play six Tests, two against Australia and four against England, in what promises to be a tough tour. Shoaib, 34, has not played for Pakistan since May 2009 when he appeared in a one-day series against Australia and since then he had a knee operation and also faced disciplinary issues with the board. The fast bowler was not given a central contract this year by the board which also refused to bear expenses for his medical treatment in England. Shoaib, who has taken 178 Test and 223 one-day wickets, has played only a handful of matches for Pakistan since 2007. Mohsin said the selectors were approaching their job with an open mind. We are seriously looking at the discarded players including Shoaib and we are taking their performances in this Pentangular Cup seriously. Anyone who performs is back in contention, the chief selector said. Shoaib was delighted with his performance insisting he was confident of making it back to the national team. I am targeting the England tour and that is why I am laying stress on domestic cricket. My knee is holding up well and it was the best decision I took to have the operation last year since I was struggling with it for last few years, Shoaib told reporters at the stadium. Mohsin also made it clear that the selectors would be happy to pick former captains and senior batsmen, Younus Khan and Muhammad Yousuf, the day PCB lifts its ban on them from playing for the national team. If the board lifts their bans we will be happy to consider them since they are experienced players with a proven record at the Test level specially in English conditions, he added.