ISLAMABAD - The Chairman Capital Development Authority on Sunday alleged the capital police as real responsible for not properly handling the heavy influx of onlookers from across the twin cities to plane crash site in Hussainabad, which led to delay in search and rescue operation.

Addressing a press conference here at Jinnah Convention Centre, Chairman CDA Engineer Farkhand Iqbal also criticised Rescue 1122 service for creating illogical media hype and mess on the place of incident. It was observed on Friday night soon after the plane crashed that spectators from across the twin cities tried to rush towards the site of crash riding motorcars, motorbikes and even afoot.

Hardly 10 feet wide road of dilapidated tenements that leads to Hussainabad - the site of crash in suburbs of Islamabad - was remained jam packed owing to crowds of onlookers, thus hampering the easy access of rescuers, ambulances and media to the site of crash.

Farkhand said even the police authorities, particularly Islamabad Traffic Police, did not support in true spirit to cordon off the area that led to heavy rush of onlookers impeding the arrival of remaining crews of CDA.

He said as per procedures, the authorities concerned of the area where such disasters take place, lead the operation by appointing an incident commander.

He said even the Rescue 1122 men did not let CDA’s rescuers dispatch the bodies to PIMS unless their in-charge set them off to do so, despite repeated directions by the city administration. “These silly actions tends to delay information and ambiguous command and control system between the authorities taking part in the operation,” the chairman said.

“Command and Control mechanism is to be devised with all the stakeholders, the ICT Administration, CDA, Iesco, WASA, WAPDA, Ambulance Services, hospitals, for greater preparedness during natural or manmade calamities for mass-causality management,” said CDA chief as has also been suggested by the CDA rescuers.

Chairman PM’s Task Force Faisal Butt, who was also present on the occasion, informed the media that so far, 121 dead bodies of Bhoja plane crash victims have been handed over to their families after identification while rest six are going through DNA test, though CDA-led search and rescue operation has been winded up.

To a question, the chairman Task Force said he would convey to the prime minister about the low capacity of mortuary at PIMS hospital that compelled them to keep dead bodies at cold storage.

He said all the shortcomings observed during this operation have been noted down and would be discussed with high-ups to equip the CDA teams with all possible facilities to cope with natural and manmade disasters efficiently.

Chairman CDA was the executive in-charge of the operation, DDG DMA Mansoor was on-scene commander and Director Disaster Management Asif Majeed was operation commander.

Briefing media about the operation, the chairman CDA said first crew of rescuers and fire fighters reached the crash site within half an hour along. The team was also accompanied by 12 CDA ambulances with doctors and paramedical staff to immediately evacuate the victims and bodies.

The USAR team is recognized globally to carry out underneath search during collateral damages, collapsed structures and events like air crashes, where finding victims is manually difficult.

The CDA team consisted of 88 members that had the distinction of being nominated for rescue operation in Japan during Tsunami however threats of radiation barred their departures.

The USAR team is also participating is Siachen to search trapped military troops.

The USAR members were equipped with canine component, dog handlers, whereas 46 fire fighters with fire tenders, and snorkels also supported the search work.

During the operation, the CDA teams collected body parts of the victims and dispatched around 161 bags to the PIMS hospital for further verifications through CDA ambulances.

Moreover, the recovered currency, bags, laptops, mobile phones, jewelleries and other belongings of the deceased passengers and handed them over to police authorities for their onward disposal.