KARACHI - One person was killed while 18 others were injured including 10 personnel of Army as a roadside bomb explosion rocked the port city of Karachi in Korangi area.

The blast was aimed to target the convoy of Pakistan Army passing through a Korangi area road after the completion of their duties during the by-polls.

The blast took place on the road located between the Sindh Government Hospital and Rangers headquarter of Wing 84, located at Korangi-5. Witnesses said that Army convoy was passing through the road when blast occurred as a result Army personnel and other civilians sustained injuries.

Witnesses said that a vehicle of armed forces carrying the Army personnel had also been damaged due to the blast.

Personnel of Army and civilians wounded in the blast were lying on the road when rescuers of the various organisations reached the spot and shifted them to different hospitals of the City. Law-enforcement agencies  also reached the spot and cordoned off the entire locality and restrained people from visiting the crime scene. Police personnel claimed to have found another bomb device near the spot.

Police also resorted to aerial firing to disperse the crowd and even not allowed journalists reaching for coverage. Source privy to the matter revealed that BDS personnel took the high risk and defused the bomb as they have not safety cover essential for the team of BDS. Panic spread out in the locality which resulting commercial and non-commercial activities were suspended.

It has been reported that Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan have claimed the responsibility for blast. BDS experts said that it was the Improvised Explosive Device carrying four to five kilogram explosives.

Bomb Disposal Squad confirmed that the explosives device was planted in a gutter which was exploded with the remote control. Most victims were shifted to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center where incharge Emergency Dr. Semi Jamali confirmed that one body of Kashif resident of Korangi was identified. About 18 wounded were brought to Hospital including the 10 personnel of Pakistan Army. Dr. Semi said that condition of some victims WAS critical.

City police Chief Additional Inspector General of Police Ghulam Qadir Thibu told The Nation that the bomb planted near the road and exploded with remote control. DIG said that Bomb Disposal Squad has defused another bomb found from the blast site.

DIG said that security forces were on the way to Malir Cantonment after the election duties in the constituency of NA-254.