LAHORE - More than 500 rescue workers of Emergency Service (1122) on Monday staged a strong demonstration to protest against the manhandling of their colleagues by the doctors of Services Hospital, suspending emergency service and disrupting traffic flow in the City for several hours. The angry protesters blocked the main Ferozepur Road for no less than five hours by setting the tyres on fire, creating worst traffic mess at one of the main arteries of the Punjab Capital. Not enough, the furious rescue workers also suspended emergency service to the victims for at least four to five hours as they stopped attending telephone calls at the Rescue Headquarter, putting the lives of a number of patients at risk. Eyewitnesses said that more than 500 rescue workers gathered outside the Headquarters of Rescue (1122) and blocked the main Ferozepur Road by creating worst traffic chaos across the City. The protesters also blocked Ferozepur Road underpass in the noon to protest against the rude attitude of the doctors of Services Hospital for badly torturing their colleagues on Sunday night and the police raid at their headquarters. A great number of motorists were witnessed trapped on the roads owing to the worst traffic chaos in the scorching heat. The blockades at the Ferozepur Road during the protest triggered worst jumbles at all the leading arteries of the City in the noon as the police diverted the traffic towards already packed routes in the congested localities. Heavy contingents of the police including senior police officers and district administration officials reached the spot and held a series of negotiations with the rescue workers to disperse them. However, the rescue workers resumed the emergency service. The police immediately released at least 14 workers of Rescue (1122) who were detained after they scuffled with the doctors of the Services Hospital late on Sunday night. However, the City district administration and police officials managed to disperse the angry protesters after setting their colleagues free and ensuring them that they would be provided justice. According to the police sources, on Sunday night three rescuers shifted an injured patient Shafiq to the hospital from FC College area after a metallic twine of a stray kite entangled around his neck and he sustained serious throat injuries. The rescue workers immediately shifted the patient to the minor operation unit at the emergency department of the Services Hospital, where doctors namely Tariq and Mushtaq misbehaved with the rescuers. The rescue workers alleged that all the doctors of at the emergency Unit were watching T20 cricket World cup final on the TV when they shifted the patients to the hospital. The doctors started exchanging harsh words with the rescuers and asked the rescuers why they had brought the patient at Services Hospital instead of any other hospital, as the locality where the accident took place was not in their jurisdiction. They further alleged that the doctors also tore the uniform of a rescuer during the scuffle and badly tortured the rescuers while the patient with serious wounds was shifted to some unknown place from the minor operation unit. On the other hand, the doctors said that the rescue workers misbehaved with them and attacked the medics, creating lawlessness like situation in the emergency department of the hospital. According to the police, the clash took place between the doctors and the rescuers after the former exchanged harsh words with the latter over the issue of shifting the patient to the hospital when the doctors were watching cricket match on the TV screen. Soon after the clash, the SHO and DSP at Shadman police station reached the hospital and amicably resolved the dispute between the doctors and the rescuers. However, a senior police officer said, that the rescue workers later called their colleagues in a good number, and attacked the doctors, badly torturing the doctors, paramedic staff and damaging the emergency department. Later in wee hours of Monday, on the complaint of the doctors the Shadman police registered a case against the rescuers and raided at the Headquarters of Rescue 1122 situated at FC College Chowk and arrested 14 workers. The sources said that no less than 500 rescuers gathered outside their head office in the noon after the arrest of their colleagues and staged a strong protest demonstration against the police and the doctors. It may be mentioned here that the clashes between the doctors and the rescuers multiplied the miseries of the public and patients as the rescuers suspended the emergency service and created worst traffic mess. The motorists trapped in the traffic mess were also witnessed cursing the protesters saying that it was not appropriate to tease the public just to convey their message to the government.