ISLAMABAD - A six-member Scotland Yard team, which arrived in Pakistan yesterday, would meet Pakistani investigators today (Monday) in connection with investigation into the murder of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leader, Dr Imran Farooq.

According to the reports, the team headed by Stewart Michael includes inspection experts and high security officials will also investigate the allegations of money laundering against MQM Chief Altaf Hussain. The sources said that the team will be briefed by the Pakistani investigators about the latest progress in the cases. The team is expected to meet with the Pakistani Joint Investigation team. Both sides will exchange key evidences and witness statements.

The team members will also be briefed about the statements and judicial proceedings against the suspects in custody of Pakistani law enforcement agencies that include Khalid Shamim, Moazzam Ali and Mohsin Ali.

Earlier, Scotland Yard had contacted Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and asked to provide evidences related to Imran Farooq murder case. The team will also meet FIA Director, who is investigating the money laundering case against MQM leadership.

FIA has presented an interim challan in the Pakistani court along with Imran Farooq’s death certificate and declaring suspect Mohsin Ali as murderer while Moazzam Ali and Khalid Shamim as facilitators. The investigators believed that Mohsin and Kashif Kamran had stabbed Imran Farooq to death. Shamim and Mohsin Ali had confessed to the crime in front of the judicial magistrate in Pakistan last year. Shamim had admitted that a key MQM personality wanted to get Farooq out of his way. He said that the directives to assassinate Farooq came from London. The murder case of Imran Farooq is currently being held in an Anti Terrorism Court (ATC) in Islamabad where alleged killer Mohsin Ali and his accomplices Khalid Shamim and Moazzam Ali are under trial.

Farooq, 50, a founding member of MQM was killed in a knife attack in Edgware, northwest London in September 2010. He claimed asylum in Britain in 1999 and was wanted in Pakistan over charges including torture and murder but always claimed the accusations were politically motivated. He had twice been elected an MP in the country, but went into hiding in 1992 when the government ordered a military crackdown against party activists in Karachi.