HYDERABAD   -  The Sindh University has closed its girls hostel, the Marvi hostel, on Sunday after 13 of the inmates were tested positive with COVID-19.  The varsity’s spokesperson Nadir Mugheri told the media that a meeting attended by the acting Vice Chancellor (VC) Prof Dr Muhammad Siddique Kalhoro and District Health Officer (DHO) Mushtaq Solangi took a decision in this regard on Sunday. 

“The students were conveyed in the afternoon that they will have to leave because the hostel is being sealed for 2 weeks,” he said. According to him, the number of inmates who were staying at the hostel was between 600 to 700. 

He said the university was offering classes to its students in two phases after resumption of the academic activities. In the first phase, the students of second and third years were asked to attend the classes for 2 weeks. The second phase, in which the first and fourth year students began taking the classes, started from November 19, he added. 

“A team of the DHO office collected samples from the hostel on November 20,” he informed.  The female students who had been asked to vacate the hostel had attended the classes for only 2 days.  The spokesperson was clueless about alternate accommodation arrangements being provided by the varsity for those students.  The DHO informed that their teams took samples of 177 students on Friday among whom 13 were tested positive.  Some of the students held a protest outside the hostel gate and complained that they had not been allowed to collect their goods before the hostel was sealed. 

One COVID-19 patient dies, 113 more cases reported in Hyderabad

One more patient has died of COVID-19 on Sunday, taking the death tally in Hyderabad district to 109, while 113 more cases have been reported positive.  According to health authorities, after changing weather conditions and non-observance of standard operating procedures (SOPs), the number of coronavirus patients had increased in Hyderabad and other adjoining districts.

A woman Surya, 75, resident of Kunri town of district Umerkot breathed her last at Liaquat University Hospital Hyderabad, while 113 new cases have also been reported as positive in the Hyderabad district. 

The district administration also urged the people to adopt standard operating procedures (SOPs) as preventive measures were the only way to curb the contagion. 

On the directives of the Deputy Commissioner (DC) Fuad Ghaffar Soomro, the local administration has launched an awareness campaign in Latifabad taluka by using loudspeakers for adopting preventive measures to contain the spread of COVID-19.