BERLIN - European nations should take a joint stance on whether to halt arms exports to Saudi Arabia over the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, German Economy Minister Peter Altmaier said Monday.

He reiterated Chancellor Angela Merkel's statement from Sunday, saying Berlin "at this stage will not approve further arms exports because we want to know what happened", adding that "all explanations so far have been unsatisfactory".

But Altmaier, a close Merkel confidant, stressed that "there won't be any positive effects if only we halt exports and then other countries fill the gap".

"Only when all European nations are in agreement will this make an impression on Riyadh," he said, speaking on public television.

Merkel had said Sunday that "when it comes to our already limited arms exports... they cannot take place in the current situation".

Her spokesman Steffen Seibert said Monday the government was still discussing internally whether ot not to bloc exports already authorised in recent months but not yet delivered.

Germany last month approved 416 million euros ($480 million) worth of arms exports to Saudi Arabia for 2018. In the past, German military exports to Saudi have mostly consisted of patrol boats, and they have been far lower than those from Britain and France, who have not indicated they want exports to stop.

Germany and Saudi Arabia only returned their ambassadors in September after 10 months of frosty relations following criticism from Berlin of what it said was Saudi interference in Lebanese affairs.

The Khashoggi case has opened a serious new rift, with Britain, France and Germany demanding that Saudi clarify how the journalist died inside its Istanbul consulate. After a fortnight of denials, Saudi authorities admitted Saturday that Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and prominent critic of powerful Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed after entering the consulate in Turkey on October 2.

But it has faced a growing chorus of incredulity over its belated explanation that he died in a "brawl", as world powers demand answers and information on the whereabouts of his body.

Trudeau says Canada could scrap Saudi Defence deal

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canada could cancel a multi-billion dollar Defence contract with Saudi Arabia following the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, in an interview broadcast Sunday.

Trudeau, speaking on French-language talk show "Tout Le Monde En Parle" - recorded Thursday, before Riyadh confirmed Khashoggi's death at its Istanbul consulate - insisted Canada would "always defend human rights, including with Saudi Arabia."

Canadian military equipment sales regulations contain restrictions on human rights violations against the buying country's citizens, and prohibit use against civilians. Asked about a key deal with Riyadh for the sale of light armored vehicles worth CAD$15 billion, Trudeau said "in this contract, there are clauses that must be followed in relation to the use of what is sold to them." "If they do not follow these clauses, we will definitely cancel the contract."

Last year, Ottawa already expressed concern about the vehicles possibly being used in law enforcement operations in Saudi Arabia's east.

Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland on Saturday branded Saudi Arabia's explanations as not credible and demanded a thorough investigation.

Relations between Canada and Saudi Arabia have been tense in recent months.

After Canada criticized the Saudi arrest of human rights activists, the kingdom retaliated by expelling the Canadian ambassador, recalling its own envoy to Ottawa and freezing trade and investment between the two countries.

On Sunday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said her country would not export arms to Saudi Arabia amid the uncertainty around Khashoggi's death.