PESHAWAR (Agencies) - Paramilitary forces rushing to protect government buildings and bridges in Taliban-infiltrated Buner District just 60 miles from the capital were met with gunfire Thursday that killed one police officer. The clash in Buner is likely to heighten concern about the viability of a government-backed peace deal with the Taliban in northwest Pakistan. Six Frontier Constabulary platoons arrived in Buner, a district with more than a half-million residents, said Syed Mohammed Javed, a government official who oversees the area covered by the peace deal. He would not say if the deployment was in direct response to the Taliban presence. Javed did not specify the number of troops involved, but a platoon typically has 30 to 50 members. The extremists patrolled the streets of Buner district, about 100 kilometres outside the capital, warning residents not to engage in 'un-Islamic activity and barring women from public places, officials and witnesses said. Local police are helpless and seem to have lost control, said resident Shams Buneri. Taliban are moving freely everywhere in the town. Our Staff Reporter from Peshawar adds: Meanwhile, a policeman was killed and another was injured on Thursday when Taliban militants attacked a convoy of the security forces near village Sawawai of Buner district. According to details, the convoy of the security forces, comprising Police and Frontier Constabulary, was going to Chinglai from Totalai town. When it reached near marble mines of Sawawai, the ambushed militants attacked it and resultantly killed one policeman and injured another seriously. The killed person was identified as Gul Said. He belonged to Ambela town of Buner district. The attack took place soon after the agreement between local Jirga and the militants. The militants had promised in the agreement that they would not attack the government installations, houses and hujras of the local residents if they (local residents) do not have any objection to the presence of peaceful and armless Taliban in the area. The Jirga, held at a madrassa in Swari town, was arranged by Commissioner Malakand, Mufti Syed Mohammad Javed. The leading figures of different political forces like Awami National Party, Pakistan Peoples Party, Pakistan Muslim League, Jamaat-e-Islami and JUI had refused to attend the Jirga. When TheNation contacted an elder from Buner in this regard, he said, Taliban militants have proved themselves as highly unreliable people, therefore, holding talks with them is useless. Maj-Gen Athar Abbas, Armys chief spokesman, insisted the situation in Buner was not as dire as some have portrayed - saying militants were in control of less than 25 per cent of the district, mostly its north. We are fully aware of the situation, Abbas said. The other side has been informed to move these people out of this area. However, a meeting between tribal elders and the Taliban on Thursday in Daggar, Buners main town, ended without any indication that the Taliban would withdraw. In an indication of the fear spread by their advance, Daggars bazaar as well as the road into the district were almost deserted, reporters said. Police and government officials in Buner appear to have either fled or are keeping a low profile, and there was no sign of the Frontier Constabulary forces in the town. Two Taliban representatives declined to comment after the meeting, driving away in a pickup truck full of gun-toting associates. However, a Taliban leader who goes by the name Commander Khalil said the militants had agreed to stop patrolling Buner, though they would still keep armed guards in their vehicles. Another Taliban leader, Maulana Muhammad Bashir, said the militants had agreed not to target those who had opposed them in the past in Buner - a key demand of local leaders, some of whom had raised tribal militias to fight the Taliban. Javed Khan, a top administrator in Buner, said the Taliban agreed to not exhibit weapons or interfere with government offices. The militants also promised to leave aid groups alone, and return seized government vehicles, he said. Nasir Laik, an elder at the Daggar meeting, said the militants could stay so long as they only preached. According to officials, the Taliban have established a base in the village of Sultanwas and set up positions in the nearby hills. Residents say they have been broadcasting sermons by radio and warning barbers to stop shaving mens beards. We have decided to deploy eight platoons, Frontier Constabulary commandant Zafarullah Khan told AFP. Buner police official Rasheed Khan confirmed to AFP that Taliban fighters were patrolling the streets unchecked, but added that district government officials were in negotiations to put an end to the militant occupation. Several Taliban militants also occupied a police post in Buner and vacated it after sometime taking a police inspector with them, Khan said.