ISLAMABAD - Eight officers of National Accountability Bureau, posted as directors at Peshawar, Sukkur, Islamabad, Multan, Karachi and Quetta stations, prayed to the Supreme Court to make them a party to the suo motu case of illegal appointments within the NAB.

Chief Justice of Pakistan Anwar Zaheer Jamali last week took suo motu notice on an anonymous letter regarding illegal appointments within the anti-corruption watchdog and issued notices to the NAB chairman and the attorney general for Pakistan.

A three-judge bench, headed by the chief justice, will take up the case today (Wednesday).

Mirza Sultan M Saleem, Mirza Irfan Baig, Irfan Naeem Mangi, Toheed-ul-Hassan, Fayyaz A Qureshi, Farmanullah and Mujahid Akbar Baloch, directors at Peshawar, Islamabad, Sukkur, Karachi and Quetta centres of NAB, yesterday filed an application in the apex court, with the request to make them a party in the suo motu case.

The petitioners said ex-army officers,  Sqd Leader (r) Tariq Mehmood Nadeem, acting charge (OPS) DG NAB, Multan, Maj (r) Shahzad Saleem, acting charge (OPS) DG NAB, Peshawar, Maj (r) Syed Burhan Ali, acting charge (OPS) DG NAB, Lahore, Maj (r) Shabbir Ahmed, acting charge (OPS), DG NAB, Karachi, Maj (r) Tariq Mehmood Malik, acting charge (OPS) DG NAB, Quetta, Lt-Col (r) Siraj-ul-Naeem, acting director DG NAB, Karachi, were absorbed and given promotion ins in NAB in violation of the rules.

These officers were inducted in the NAB as appointments by transfer under clause 13.03, read by clause 3.30 of NAB Employees’ Terms and Conditions of Services (TCS) Rules 2002.

The clause 3.30 of TCS Rules says; “Only an employee possessing the qualifications and other conditions laid down for initial appointment to the post on which appointment by transfer is being made, shall be considered by the Selection Board for appointment by transfer.”

The petitioners said the appointment of those ex-army officers who presently hold the position of Director Generals (BS-21) at various stations of NAB was illegal in the light of para 3.30 of TCS Rules 2002, as they do not possess requisite qualifications and experience for all these officers are simple graduates.

They said 10 percent vacancies were reserved for ex-army officers, but their induction exceeded the prescribed quota, which affected the promotions of all the officers who had joined NAB through transparent competitive process.

The petitioners claimed these officers, inducted illegally in excess of their quota, have now occupied almost all slots of grade 20, leaving no space/vacancies in near future for the promotion of qualified officers.

The officers promoted in December 2003 did not possess the required qualifications and post qualification as per clause 3.23 and 3.26(iii) of TCS Rules 2002. These officers were promoted during probation period with only 3 to 6 months in service in NAB instead of 5 to 7 years.

The NAB chairman, in sheer violation of clause 3.36 of TCS, is continuously granting extension to these ex-army officers on current acting charge basis.

The petitioners said the Selection Board meeting held on 8th February 2013 had deferred their promotion to the post of DGs for lack of requisite length of service in NAB. Since then the chairman has been extending these ex-army officers’ period of current charge of DGs without approval of the competent authority.

The NAB authorities are trying to shorten the prescribed academic qualification and experience for the post of DGs so as to accommodate and justify the current charge DGs.