KARACHI: Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar on Wednesday said Karachi will not be held hostage anymore and congratulated the people and the security forces deployed in the metropolis for foiling the attempt to "take the city hostage".

"This was for the first time in 25 years that Karachi was not held hostage," the interior minister told reporters following his meeting with Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ibad.

Nisar on the occasion also appreciated the role played by the media while it was "under attack".

Referring to the earlier diatribe of Altaf Hussain, in which he had spoken against the state of Pakistan and its armed forces, Nisar said, "The speech a day before from a leader of a political party has revealed everything and cleared doubts."

Nisar stated that it is not a battle between Urdu-speakers and the state, but some quarters might try to promote the agenda. "Karachi was always disturbed on the whims of an individual, which resulted in heavy economic losses."

Nisar also said that the British government has been contacted regarding the speech which incited violence in Karachi earlier this week. "We have asked them to take action according to evidence and we will provide further proof," said the interior minister.