NEW YORK : One person was killed and 27 rushed to hospital following a carbon monoxide leak at a New York restaurant, officials said Sunday. The fatality was the manager of a sea food restaurant in a mall in the Long Island town of Huntington Station, Suffolk County police said in a statement. Police and local fire department personnel rushed to the Legal Sea Food restaurant at the mall early Saturday evening responding to a report that woman had fallen and hit her head in the restaurant basement.

When the emergency personnel arrived they quickly "felt nauseous and dizzy and recognized it as a carbon monoxide event," the statement read.