Federer takes break after defeat

INDIAN WELLS - Roger Federer will take time off following his disappointing loss in the Indian Wells final to Novak Djokovic Sunday to get ready for the upcoming clay court season. The Swiss tennis star's next stop on the ATP Tour will be the Monte Carlo Masters in April. The break from the Tour means the two-time champion Federer won't be playing in the Miami Open next week. "I am looking forward to training very hard now in the next three weeks," Federer said. "It is the key for me to get really in great shape for the clay court season and for the grass court season." Federer, who sets his schedule several months in advance, said he also plans to go home to Switzerland and spend some time with his family. This will mark the second time in three years that Federer has not played the Miami Masters.–AFP

Every defends Bay Hill title

ORLANDO - Matt Every sank a tension-packed 17-foot birdie putt on the final hole Sunday to defend his title at the Arnold Palmer Invitational, defeating Sweden's Henrik Stenson by one stroke. The 31-year-old American, who grew up nearby and attended the $6.3 million US PGA event as a youth, matched 14-time major champion Tiger Woods and fellow American Loren Roberts as only the third player to win back-to-back Bay Hill titles, a feat Woods accomplished five times. "I was driving it really good this week and my irons were spot on," Every said. "The accuracy was great. I kind of had a feeling. I was shaking over some of those putts late but that one at 18 was straight downhill." Every also joined Woods and the late Payne Stewart as the only players to win the crown with a 72nd-hole birdie.–AFP

Alonso set to race in Malaysia: Mclaren

MADRID - Two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso is set to return to the track for the second Grand Prix of the season in Malaysia, his McLaren-Honda team confirmed on Monday. Alonso missed the season opening race in Australia after suffering concussion in a testing accident last month. "McLaren-Honda is pleased to announce that, subject to a successful final FIA medical assessment this Thursday 26th March at the Sepang International Circuit, Fernando Alonso will return to the cockpit of his MP4-30 car for this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix," the team said. The Spaniard crashed into a wall when he ran wide on the final day of the second pre-season test in Barcelona. McLaren also confirmed Alonso drove the team's simulator last week as he built-up his preparation for a return to action.–AFP

Four Islamabad zones U-19 trials on 29th

ISLAMABAD – The trials for selection of squads for Islamabad's four zones will be held on March 29 and the selected squads will play in PCB Regional Inter-District U-19 Championship for Islamabad Region. All players born on or after September 1, 1996 are eligible for the trials. This year, PCB will conduct trials in all the districts and zones through its appointed selection committee for each district and zone. PCB-appointed doctors and physios will also be there to verify age of each player. Col Naushad Ali and Nadeem Abbasi will head the two selection committees for four zones of Islamabad. ICA president Nasir Iqbal advised all the interested players to reach in time with their SSC certificate, NADRA's Form-B, father's CNIC attested copy and proof of their residence in Islamabad.–Staff Reporter