Nato warplanes hammered Tripoli on Tuesday with some of their heaviest air strikes yet after the US said Muammer Gaddafi, the Libyan leader, would inevitably be forced from power. Hours after the attacks the US announced it had invited Libyas rebel council to open a representative office in Washington but stopped short of full recognition. In the Nato attacks on Tripoli, at least 12 huge explosions rocked the capital in the early hours. Government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim said three people were killed and 150 wounded. He said the strikes had targeted a compound of the Popular Guards, a tribally-based military detachment. But the compound had been emptied of people and useful material in anticipation of an attack, and the casualties were local residents. This is another night of bombing and killing by Nato, Mr Ibrahim told reporters.