KARACHI - Awami National Party District West president Dr Ziauddin was gunned down by unidentified target killers here in Orangi Town Sunday.

As per details, two assailants riding a motorcycle targeted 50-year-old Dr Ziauddin and managed to flee from the scene. Dr Ziauddin sustained severe injuries and died on the spot.

His body was taken to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for autopsy. His family members and a large number of party leaders and workers also reached outside the hospital and protested against the incident.

They demanded the immediate arrest of the culprits. Police officials said that the incident took place when Dr Ziauddin son of Muhammad Ismail hailed from Swat was on his way to home after offering prayer in a nearby mosque. Police said that at least two armed men riding a motorcycle targeted him and resorted indiscriminate firing before fleeing.

Later, the ANP protested outside the Chief Minister House and demanded the government to arrest the outlaws involved in the killing of Dr Ziauddin.

The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan had reportedly threatened the Dr Ziauddin, who was also a former Union Council Nazim of the area. The Taliban had also demanded Rs1 million as extortion money from him. He was also told to quit the ANP and warned of dire consequences for not doing so.

In September last year, the Bomb Disposal Squad had managed to defuse a bomb planted outside Dr Ziauddin’s residence in Orangi Town.

The ANP leaders, condemning the incident, termed it a failure on the part of the government and law enforcement agencies as several of their leaders have so far been killed in bomb blasts and targeted killings in the city. It is worth mentioning here that scores of the ANP workers have been killed by the militants groups during last couple of years.

Separately, an activist affiliated with the MQM was gunned down in Orangi Town. Police said that 50-year-old Waheed Ahmed resident of Sector 11, Chashti Nagar, was on his way to home when some gunmen ridding on a motorbike targeted him and managed to flee from the scene. Waheed and a passerby Danish sustained bullet wounds. They were rushed to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital where doctors pronounced the death of Waheed. Police handed over the body to family after autopsy.