LAHORE - Former president General (r) Pervez Musharraf has said that the Special Court’s order which implicated three important people along with some others as co-accused in high treason case against him is gratifying.
In a short comment to The Nation on Sunday, Musharraf said, “It is gratifying that the special court has dismissed the politically motivated charges levelled against me by the government in their present form. Indeed the truth is beginning to prevail.”
The former military chief added that he had been saying since long that cases against him were politically motivated and expressed the hope that the upcoming events in the treason trial would vindicate his stance.
He remarked: I am grateful to my family, friends and fans from around the world for their prayers and well wishes. I am touched by this massive outpouring of support, love and affection.
The case of high treason against Pervez Musharraf, first of its nature in country’s history, will enter a new phase after the indictment of former Chief Justice Abdul Hameed Dogar, ex-prime minister Shaukat Aziz and then law minister Zahid Hamid.
Zahid Hamid, who was heading the Federal Ministry for Science and Technology in the incumbent government, stepped down from his position after the court’s decision on Friday.
Aasia Ishaq, a close aide of Pervez Musharraf, quoted former president’s counsel Barrister Farogh Naseem as saying that some other people were also indicted in the case but indictment of Dogar, Aziz and Hamid was more significant. She added that some quarters were misreading the Special Court’s orders concerning abettors of former president in imposing emergency, as the court indicted the big three abettors besides others.
Analysts were of the opinion that indictment of the three important figures was a significant development in the political history of country and Pakistan would enter a new phase if the things moved in the right direction. Musharraf, who earlier was the only accused, would get space for establishing his claims of political victimisation with the indictment of scores of people who were part of his regime.
The Special Court hearing the former strongman on high treason charges accepted his appeal on Friday to include alleged collaborators in the declaration of emergency. The court then ordered to include co-accused in the matter and proceed against those people who advised Musharraf to impose emergency on November 3, 2007.
The former military ruler was formally charged for circumventing the constitution by imposing emergency in the country, a charge he denies. Accepting Musharraf’s plea, the court gave the federal government 15 days to submit a report.
Lead counsel of Musharraf, Barrister Farogh Naseem had filed an application with the Special Court, seeking a joint trial of all civil, judicial and military leaders who were part of the regime when the emergency was declared on November 3, 2007.
Naseem on October 31, while concluding his arguments, presented a transcript and DVD of former Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz’s speech in which he had taken full responsibility for the decision to impose emergency. He submitted that the imposition of emergency was a collective decision taken in consultation with the then civil and military leaders.