ISLAMABAD Hearing a suo moto notice taken on a letter of Makhdoom Syed Faisal Saleh Hayat, a leader of Pakistan Muslim League (Quaid), to the Chief Justice of Pakistan, alleging huge corruption in the award of Rental Power Plants (RPPs) contract, the Supreme Court on Thursday issued notices to Faisal Saleh Hayat, Secretaries of Finance and Water and Power Ministries as well as Managing Director PEPCO to appear before it on October 4 to clarify the accusation. A three-member bench comprising Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, Justice Tariq Parvez and Justice Ghulam Rabbani noted that there were serious allegations of corruption against the Ministry of Water and Power in the award of RPPs. The Court ordered NEPRA to produce the record about RPPs. The Court also directed PEPCO to collect notices and serve them on the distribution companies. In his letter to the CJP, Faisal Saleh Hayat levelled serious corruption allegations involved billions of rupees against the Government in award of Rental Power Plants contract. Last year, the Federal Government approved plans to set up rental power projects to generate 1,500 megawatts of electricity. In view of the requirement of 2,700MW, the Economic Coordination Committee had directed the Water and Power Ministry to arrange 2,200 MW from 14 RPPs in order to eliminate loadshedding. The Parliament also approved the RPPs following a four-day debate on the issue. Water Minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf had said that the power tariff would rise by six percent after the RPPs started production. Appearing on the notice, Khawaja Tariq Rahim, Counsel for PEPCO and Ministry of Water and Power, informed the Court that two RPPs had been signed off meaning that they did not like to set up the project, while claimed Rs 190 million damages charges from Reshma RPP, Karkey (Turkish company) RPP and Techno E Power and Sialkot RPP for slowing down or delaying the power production. He further said that Kamoki Energy Limited and Young Gen Power Limited were about to be completed, while Gulf Rental Power with total capacity of 62 MW had started commercial operation, Techno with capacity of 60 MW had partially started the operation, while Walter Power Plant, Naudero, is also near completion. He said the money was safely lying in the banks. Barrister Asghar Khan from Ministry of Water and Power said that the Asian Development Bank had stated that Premier Engineer Private Limited and Independent Power Limited should not proceed forward because their agreements had not been signed. Anwar Kamal, Counsel for distribution companies and PEPCO, informed the Court that he wanted to withdraw from the public sector and now would represent the citizens of Pakistan in personal capacity. He said he had visited the NEPRA office and noticed that the Power Plants had been lying shut down for a month and not a single unit of electricity was produced as claimed by the Ministry of Water and Power counsel. He said million of dollars had been given to the companies in advance in 2008, adding the money had been borrowed from the banks. It should also be noted that besides Faisal Saleh Hayat, Transparency International Pakistan had also requested the CJP through an application to take suo moto notice of alleged corruption in the award of RPPs. It had said in its application that it had been pointing out to the Government for the past eight months about corruption in high places with regard to the RPPs project. The Court adjourned the hearing till October 4.