KARACHI - A policeman was killed and eight others, including two policemen were wounded when armed gangsters attacked the police station following the killing of their companion during police custody.

The alleged gangster Naveed Baloch, 27, nominated in several criminal cases was arrested along with his two companions from Aansu Goth within the jurisdictions of Malir City police station on Sunday.

Baloch allegedly involved in target killings, extortion and kidnapping for ransom cases died in police lockup under mysterious circumstances.

Following the death of Baloch scores of people, including his family members, relatives, neighbouring people and his companions gathered outside the police station to staged protest against the police brutality. Protester got violent when police were trying to scattered them. Later, an exchange of fire took place between the police and the violent mob.

The protesters attacked the police station with stones and ransacked the furniture. Police resorted to aerial firing to disperse the crowd when some armed men hurled a hand grenade on a police mobile and kidnapped the driver constable, Farman. Later, the constable’s body was thrown outside the police station.

Eight people, including two policemen were also injured in the attack. The injured were taken to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre from where police took four suspected injured into custody.

Law enforcers conducted operation in Ansu Goth and adjacent areas. They claimed to have apprehended around 30 suspects along with the weapons, including G-3 rifles and submachine guns.

Meanwhile, two people were killed in separate incidents of violence here on Monday.  A man namely Arif was shot dead in Faqeer Colony, Orangi Town. Police said the victim was on his way when some unidentified culprits tried to loot him. On showing resistance, the culprits shot him dead. Police shifted the body to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for autopsy and later handed over to heirs.

Separately, a man was gunned down in Block-9 of Federal B area. Police said the victim was sitting near a private hospital where unidentified pillion riders shot him dead and fled from the scene. The identification of the victim has yet to be ascertained. Police shifted the body to morgue for identification after medicolegal formalities.