LONDON - Record signing Kevin De Bruyne scored again as Manchester City crushed Sunderland 4-1 to reach the League Cup fourth round on Tuesday, but Swansea City fell to second-tier Hull City.

Manchester City's perfect start to the Premier League season was abruptly ended by a 2-1 loss at home to West Ham United at the weekend, but Manuel Pellegrini's team bounced back in style at the Stadium of Light. They were 4-0 up inside 36 minutes through a ninth-minute Sergio Aguero penalty, De Bruyne's second goal for the club, an own goal by Sunderland goalkeeper Vito Mannone and a neat finish by Raheem Sterling.

"We played well, especially in the first half," said Pellegrini, whose side also lost 2-1 at home to Juventus in their Champions League opener. "Maybe in the second half, winning 4-0, we stopped our pace a little bit, but I am pleased because we started this game after two important defeats in the Champions League and Premier League. "It was important to continue in this cup and it was important to try to win from the first minute. We scored four beautiful goals."

Struggling Sunderland, bottom of the Premier League table after six games without victory, replied courtesy of an 83rd-minute header by close-season signing Ola Toivonen. Swansea lost to a 41st-minute David Meyler strike at Hull, who were relegated from the Premier League in May, to become the second top-flight team to be knocked out of this season's tournament after second-round casualties Watford, although they were later joined by West Ham.

Andy King scored a 116th-minute header as Leicester City continued their fine form to beat the Hammers 2-1 after extra time in the only all-Premier League tie of the evening. Young striker Joe Dodoo put Leicester ahead in the early stages, with Mauro Zarate's deflected shot bringing West Ham level in the 27th minute.

Leicester, the last unbeaten team in the English top tier, prevailed four minutes from the end of extra time when Wales international King rose to plant a header in the top-left corner from Christian Fuchs's cross. Everton had to come from behind to win 2-1 at Championship side Reading.

Nick Blackman's opener was cancelled out by a powerful Ross Barkley strike in the 62nd minute before Gerard Deulofeu sealed victory with his first goal since returning to Everton on a permanent basis from Barcelona, a plunging 30-yard free-kick. Bournemouth, meanwhile, needed penalties to win at second-tier Preston North End after the game finished 2-2 following extra time.

Daniel Johnson scored a 118th-minute penalty for Preston that sent the game to extra time, but then saw his spot-kick saved by Adam Federici to hand Bournemouth a 3-2 success in the shootout. Peter Crouch's cool first-half finish earned Stoke City a 1-0 win at Fulham, while Aston Villa saw off Championship derby rivals Birmingham City 1-0 courtesy of an emphatic 62nd-minute header from Rudy Gestede.

"It was a tough game today," said Gestede, whose side have lost four and drawn one of their last five Premier League games. "It was important to get the win for our confidence because we haven't started the season very well."

Holders Chelsea launch their trophy defence at third-tier Walsall on Wednesday, with Arsenal visiting north London rivals Tottenham Hotspur in the tie of the round. Manchester United, second in the Premier League, enter the competition with a home game against second-tier Ipswich Town, while Liverpool host League Two Carlisle United, the lowest-ranked team left in the competition.


Aston Villa 1-0 Birmingham

Stoke 1-0 Fulham

Hull 1-0 Swansea

Leicester 1-1 West Ham

Middlesbrough 3-0 Wolves

Preston 1-1 Bournemouth

Man City 4-1 Sunderland