NEW YORK - US Justice Department officials have recommended reopening investigations into several prisoner abuse cases, The New York Times reported Monday. Citing a person officially briefed on the matter, the newspaper said Monday the Justice Departments Office of Professional Responsibility has recommended reversing Bush administration policy on detainee abuse. The decision could put CIA employees and contractors at risk of prosecution for their handling of terrorism suspects, the source told the Times. Word of the recommendation comes as the Justice Department prepares for a release later Monday of information providing extensive details on prisoner abuse. The information was collected in 2004 by the CIA inspector general but has been held back from public disclosure. In examples that have just come to light, the C.I.A. report describes how C.I.A. officers carried out mock executions and threatened at least one prisoner with a gun and a power drill. It is a violation of the federal torture statute to threaten a prisoner with imminent death, the report said. Prosecutors previously declined to prosecute any of the cases, but people close to Holder say he began to reconsider that question after he read the reports, including allegations that suspects died in US custody, the Times reported. The release of the details on prisoner treatment may result in the naming of a special prosecutor, and could present a complex political problem for the Obama administration, the report said. President Barack Obama has said repeatedly he would prefer to look to the future and not to the past.