ARIZONA - US daredevil Nik Wallenda became the first man to cross a Grand Canyon-area gorge on a tightrope Sunday, completing his latest record-breaking feat in under 23 minutes.

The 34-year-old, who walked across the Niagara Falls last year, prayed constantly as he crossed a tributary gorge of the US landmark on a quarter-mile long high wire some 1,500 feet (457 meters) above the Little Colorado River.

Wind gusts were higher than expected, and he twice crouched down on the wire. “Those winds (were) so unpredictable ... just out of the blue there would be a 35 miles (56 kilometers) an hour gust,” he said. “My arms are aching like you couldn’t believe,” he added, hugging his wife and children after the nerve-wracking walk - without a harness - over the stunning gorge in eastern Arizona, broadcast live around the world.

Organizers said he took 22 minutes and 54 seconds to cross the 1,400 feet (426 meters) - faster than anticipated - giving a thumbs up and half-running the last several yards to reach the other side.

Wallenda’s feat made it into the top 10 global topics on Twitter, with organizers saying there were some 700,000 tweets during the walk alone.

There was some debate over whether the walk was over the Grand Canyon itself - technically it was over a tributary gorge in the Navajo Nation, east of the main part of the world-renowned landmark.

But organizers insisted he had walked across the Grand Canyon, and many who watched the death-defying stunt were willing to forgive any over-zealous marketing hype.

Wallenda has been planning the walk for about four years, homing in on a remote location at the eastern end of the mighty geological chasm, on land operated by Navajo Nation Parks and Recreation.

He had hoped to be able to take questions from journalists live while on the high wire, but it became clear within a few minutes of the start that he needed all his concentration for the walk.

“Praise God, this is awesome ...Thank you Jesus for this beautiful view,” he said. “Winds are way worse than I expected,” he added at one point, in comments broadcast live by the Discovery Channel in more than 200 countries around the world. His father was in constant live radio link with him, although for the first five minutes the conversation consisted largely of Wallenda asking Jesus and God to help him and to calm the winds.

He first crouched down before the half-way point, explaining afterwards he needed to stabilize the cable, and himself.