KARACHI - Three people were killed in separate acts of violence, while police claimed to have arrested two operatives of a banned outfit in the provincial metropolis here on Sunday, officials said.

An owner of a hardware shop was shot dead in Baloch Colony area. Identified as Luqman Gujjar, 40, the victim was sitting at his shop, when a man, namely Qadir, opened fire on him after an exchange of hot words. Gujjar sustained multiple bullets and died on the spot. Qadir was also wounded by the firing of the victim, police officials said. Qadir had links with a political party. Following the incident, the victim’s family staged a protest. They said Gujjar had been gunned down over his refusal to pay extortion money. No case was registered till the filing of this report.

A sack-packed body of a young man was found near Hajj Camp area. Officials of the Napier Police Station said identification of the victim could not be ascertained. They suspected that the victim might have been kidnapped from somewhere by unidentified abductors and later killed. The body was moved to a morgue for identification after medico-legal formalities at the Civil Hospital Karachi.

Another body of an unidentified young man was found near Mubarak Shaheed Road within the jurisdiction of the Saddar Police Station. Police officials said the victim had been shot and killed after being kidnapped by unidentified miscreants.

Meanwhile, police claimed to have apprehended two operatives of a the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan in a targeted raid on Banaras area of Orangi Town. Police officials said the raid was carried out on a tip-off. The arrested suspects were identified as Qari Akhtar and Mayam Mehsud. A huge cache of arms and ammunition, a suicide vest, two hand grenades, a ball bomb and a detonator were seized from them.

During initial interrogation the accused confessed to have killed a police inspector of the Manghopir Police Station and another policeman in Ittehad Town area of Baldia Town. The operatives were shifted to an undisclosed location for further questioning. No case was registered till the filing of this report.

Separately, the Rangers claimed to have recovered a suicide jacket, three detonator cards, 16 detonator fuses and a 9mm pistol. A spokesman for the Rangers said a raid was conducted on a tip-off on a deserted room near Northern Bypass in which these explosives were seized. No arrest was made, however.