ISLAMABAD The Supreme Court on Wednesday directed Inspector General of Police, Punjab, to revive all the FIRs registered against those who were allegedly involved in untoward incident at Aiwan-e-Adl but later cancelled by him (IGP), and conduct fair investigation and submit a report within two weeks. A three-member bench comprising Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, Justice Ghulam Rabbani and Justice Khalil-ur-Rehman Ramday was hearing a suo moto case of the police and lawyers clashes on 1st and 2nd October, 2010 at the District Courts, Lahore. At the outset of the proceeding, Advocate General Punjab Khawaja Haris informed the bench that no progress whatsoever had been made. He said police were not in control of anyone and he had written a letter to the Chief Minister Punjab in this regard. He told that he had asked the police to register cases against those who were involved in thrashing lawyers on October and beating policemen. He said four FIRs were registered regarding the incident, but last week those FIRs were cancelled. He said, The IGP should suffer as he is behind it. The Chief Justice on that remarked, Let it be settled once for all whether there should be 'rule of law or 'rule of IGP. Anyone who is considering oneself above the law should be taken to task, the CJ said and added, We would direct the Federal Government to take action against the IGP Punjab. He inquired from the IGP who had given him order to cancel the FIRs. Mr. Dogar informed that in the last hearing Senator Kazim Khan, member of the committee that was constituted on the SCs order to sort out the matter amicably, had said the case should be resolved through reconciliation and compromise. In that perspective I cancelled the FIRs, Tariq said. The CJ remarked that the court would not be satisfied if action would be taken against the low rank police officials as they were high-ups of the police force who were present and ordered to beat lawyers at Aiwan-e-Adl, Lahore, on October 1. They should be dealt with strictly, he added. The Lahore incident took place in the background of differences between lawyers community and the judicial officers that started in the 1st week of July when the Lahore High Court Bar Association (LHCBA) passed a resolution against District and Sessions Judge Zawar Hussain Sheikh for his non-cooperative attitude towards the bar and the lawyers. The resolution demanded transfer of Justice Zawar. Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry seeing the reports of Justice Zawars transfer in media referred the matter to Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khawaja Sharif, who formed a committee to find out the durable solution. The committee compiled its recommendations. Despite that the District and Sessions Judge was not transferred. As a result an untoward incident took place between lawyers and the police on October 1 and 2. Zawar has now been sent on four months leaves. The Chief Justice ordering the IGP to revive all the FIR and conduct fair investigation adjourned the case for two weeks.