PARIS (AFP) - French opposition leaders called Thursday for a parliamentary inquiry into the 2002 killing of 11 French engineers in Pakistan, after reports of a link to a submarine contract with Islamabad. According to a lawyer for the victims families, the probe into the May 8, 2002 attack in Karachi is now focusing on Frances decision to halt the payment of commissions linked to a 1994 submarine deal. The Socialist Party leader in parliament, Jean-Marc Ayrault, wrote to the parliament speaker calling for a fact-finding inquiry into the attack. Seven years after the events, it is time for our national representatives to look into these serious happenings, Ayrault wrote. The attack saw a car packed with explosives ram into a minibus carrying the Frenchmen, all engineers working for French state firm DCN, that was building submarines for Pakistan. The 11 engineers and three Pakistanis were killed. Two alleged members of an Al-Qaeda-linked group were convicted in Pakistan in 2003 over the Karachi attack, but both were acquitted last month after court ruled there was insufficient evidence against them. French anti-terrorism investigators are now focusing on whether the attack could have been commandeered as retribution after Paris called off the payment of commissions to Pakistani intermediaries for the submarine deal. The commissions - legal at the time, although since banned - were set up under Prime minister Edouard Balladur, but stopped after his political rival on the right Jacques Chirac was elected president in 1995. According to the families lawyer, Olivier Morice, Chirac is believed to have stopped the payments because part of the money was being siphoned off to build an election campaign warchest for his rival Balladur. Magali Drouet, daughter of one victim, says anti-terrorist judges believe the attack was ordered because payments were not made to Asif Ali Zardari, who is now Pakistans president but was a minister at the time. Details of the payments emerged in 2008 as part of an investigation into French arms sales. Questioned last week about suggestions the attack could have been linked to commissions for the submarine deal, President Nicolas Sarkozy - who was budget minister in Balladurs government at the time - dismissed them as grotesque. The Paris prosecutors office said on Monday there were no objective elements linking the attack to the submarine deal. Rachida Dati, who handed over the French justice ministry to Michele Alliot-Marie in a reshuffle this week, said before standing down that all steps will be taken to ensure we find the truth.