ISLAMABAD - The government authorities here on Tuesday got shifted around 40 climbers from Gilgit-Batistan to the capital city to pave safe way for onward journeys to their home countries after the Pakistan had suspended expeditions on Nanga Parbat.
The climbers had been airlifted in and around the base camp of Nanga Parbat, the second highest peak of the country, to the city of Gilgit, the other day, after some gunmen had shot dead 10 foreigner trekkers at the base camp of Nanga Parbat. Most of the trekkers belong to Russia, Ukraine and Poland, the official sources said.
An official of the Alpine Club of Pakistan on condition of anonymity said that these mountaineers had been kept at a well-guarded place in the capital but the official authorities had forbidden them to disclose their location due to security concerns. He further said that arrangements were being made for their safe return to their homelands and all were being dispatched to their respective countries on the availability of international flights. “The climbers are in a state of severe shock and trauma and they have even left their belongings and luggage there,” a high profile personality informed who visited them on Tuesday. He said that the government was making separate arrangement to lift their luggage from Nanga Parbat to Islamabad.
Meanwhile, relatives and officials of relevant embassies Tuesday visited Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) and Polyclinic Hospital Tuesday for identification of bodies of 10 foreign climbers. Seven bodies have been kept in the mortuary of Polyclinic and three at PIMS. According to Policlinic Hospital officials, the bodies of seven climbers who are from Ukraine, Nepal, Lithuania and Slovacia have been identified but have yet to be handed over to the embassy officials. Families of three Chinese climbers also visited PIMS with police and identified the bodies.