ISLAMABAD - The Pakistan Education Atlas 2013 that maps the state of education in the country reveals that 32 percent of the children of age 5-9 are out-of-school.

The third version of the report details the situation of education in each district as well as presents a comprehensive national outline.

The report was launched here on Tuesday by the Academy of Education, Planning and Management (AEPAM), Ministry of Education, Trainings and Standards in Higher Education in collaboration with UN World Food Programme (WFP), United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (Unesco) and United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).

According to the report, the literacy rate remains 58 percent while national survival rate is 54 percent in the country. Survival percentage to grade 5 in Punjab is 56 percent, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa 64, Sindh 43 percent, Balochistan 43 percent, Azad Jammu and Kashmir 65 percent, Federally Administered Tribal Areas 48 percent, Gilgit-Baltistan 95 percent and Islamabad 96 percent.

The Atlas using Pakistan Social and Living Standard Measurement (PSLM) Survey 2010-11, illustrates that 55 percent of the adult population (15 years and above) is literate. The adult male population that is literate represents 67 percent while only 42 percent of the adult female population is literate. Sindh has 58 percent adult literacy rate, Punjab 57 percent, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa 46 percent, and Balochistan 37 percent while there is a stark disparity between male and female's adult literacy rate in all the provinces with Balochistan at the bottom with 15 percent female literacy rate.

It also highlights that Pakistan has an 83 percent Net Intake Rate-the total number of new entrants at the primary level who are of official entrance age of that level. While Pakistan's Gross Intake Rate- the total number of new entrants regardless of their age is 104 percent at primary level.    

National transition rate from primary to middle is 88 percent in the country, it says, while transition rate of boys from primary to middle 91 percent and transition rate of girls from primary to middle is 83 percent.

According to the report, 17 percent of primary schools in Pakistan are a single classroom school while the average number of teachers in a primary school is less than three that represents a huge gap and demands urgent reform to improve the situation.

In 2012-13, 30 percent primary schools were with single teacher and the situation remains the same with the slightest difference as in 2008-09 this ratio was 31 percent, it shows.  

The report also highlights state of affairs of school infrastructure in the country showing that 8 percent of the total government schools are without a building while 37 percent are without toilet, 45 percent don't have electricity and 35 percent do not have a boundary wall.

The statistics presented in the report reveal the stark condition of Pakistani school and also highlight the need to take immediate steps to fix the situation since poor infrastructure and lack of facilities have a direct impact on parents' willingness to send their children to school and to keep them learning there, remarked speakers that included government officials and national and international development agencies.

Of the 32 Millennium Development Goals, Pakistan lags behind on 19 indicators, is off-track on four, on-track on three, and ahead on six indicators. Among these, the education targets fare the poorest, despite some improvements between 2004 and 2008, which represents some 30 percent of the country's population experiencing extreme educational poverty, defined as less than two years of education in a lifetime.