ISLAMABAD  - A parliamentary panel has made recommendation that Sheikh Zayed Hospital, Lahore, the National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases (NICVD), Karachi, Jinnah Post Medical Complex and National Institute of Child Health (NICH), Karachi be given back to the federal government that were devolved to the provinces under 18th amendment.

The Senate Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination recommended this in its meeting as saying that the patients and staffers have been suffering and the institutes have been going through a downfall since their control has been given to the provinces.

The committee noted that due to devolution the issues of non-payment of funds and staffers like admissions, promotions and trainings have lingering on due to which expert surgeons and professors have left the country. Especially, the students of Khyber Pakhtunkhawa, FATA and Balochistan have been facing the issues of ban on training and admissions. 

The Committee Chairman Syed Zafar Ali Shah remarked that the NICH, NICVD and Sheikh Zayed Hospital are the biggest institutes of the country that have been providing healthcare facilities to children but due to devolution hundreds of doctors have been denied trainings.

After taking briefings from the representatives of the said health institutes, the committee chairman said the government would be recommended through the parliament to return back them to the federal government after taking approval from the Council of Common Interest.  All the members of the committee including Senators Karim M  Khawaja, Farhat Abbas, Almas Parveen, Suriya Amiruddin, Abdul Haseeb Khan, Malik Rafique Rajwana, Nisar Mohammad Khan and Heman Daas approved the recommendation. 

Dengue claims another precious life in Rawalpindi: The paper work of City District Government Rawalpindi (CDGR) to control dengue outbreak has started exposing, as the deadliest virus started rearing its ugly head again even at the end of summer by swallowing another precious human life in a government-run hospital here on Friday.

It is worth mentioning here that it was the second patient died of dengue fever in the city.

According to sources, a 25-year-old Muhammad Asif died at the Holy Family Hospital (HFH). The patient was brought from Dhoke Hassu to HFH on October 22 where he was declared dengue patient. He has been suffering from high fever for last 10 days and other symptoms of bleeding of gums. The death of dengue patient at the HFH ring alarm bells in the city as well.

HFH Medical Superintendent (MS) Dr Arshad Ali Sabir, while talking to media men said that soon after arrival of the patient at hospital, he was shifted to isolation room but his condition started deteriorating and doctors shifted him at the High Dependency Unit for better care.

He said that the senior doctors and even Rawalpindi Medical College (RMC) Principal and Allied Hospitals (AHs) Chief Prof Dr Muhammad Umer also examined the condition of the patient. He said that the condition of the patient was gone bad to worst on Friday morning and he died at 9:00 am.

A total of 52 patients admitted to the hospital and their condition was stable, MS said in addition with the doctors had been directed to provide all the available care to the dengue patients at the hospital.

On the other hand, the death of youngster swelled a wave of panic among the careless officials of District Health Department as they claimed that the patient did not conceive dengue virus from not Dhoke Hassu but from Hasanabdal.  “Muhammad Asif travelled from Rawalpindi to Attock for his business purposes as he was running the business of lubricant and before suffering from the fever, he visited Hasanabdal and he will infected by virus from there,” said District Officer Health (Urban Areas) Dr Ansar Ishaq, while talking to The Nation.

He said that the history of the patient was collected from his family. He said that the health department visited the area and spray anti-dengue medicines in the area to avoid further spread of the disease.

These lame and baseless excuses on the part of DHD high-ups were not new as they always tried to put the proofs of their failure under the carpet by issuing such statements in media. It was third death of dengue. First death of dengue virus was reported at teaching hospital on June 29 but the hospital and DHD claimed that he came from Azad Jammu and Kashmir and spent some time in Karachi.

Another woman from Pirwadhai area died last Sunday but the DHD claimed that she came from Mardan. However, the hospital official exposed the white lie of the DHD high ups saying that the hospital entered the CINC number on the record in which the permanent address was inscribed. But, the woman was residing in Pirwadhai area.