QUETTA - A shutter down strike was observed Friday in different towns of Balochistan against the alleged military operation in earthquake-hit Awaran district.

The strike call was given by the Baloch Warna Movement to protest against what it said the military operation, human rights violations and alleged genocide of Baloch people. Markets and shopping centres remained closed in Turbat, Panjgour, Pasni, Wadh, Khuzdar, Kalat, Kharan and other towns of the province, and the situation emerged due to the strike paralysed routine life of the people.

Strict security measures were taken in all major cities and towns to avoid any unpleasant incident.

The Baloch Warna Movement in a statement alleged that the security forces are carrying out a military operation in Awaran district under the cover of relief activities. It further said the atrocious policies towards Baloch people are underway, and asked the human rights organisations to take notice of the situation.

It may be mentioned here that Awaran district was severely hit by earthquake measuring 7.8 on Rector Scale on Sept 24 that claimed more than 500 lives and left more than 35,000 families homeless. Awaran is also insurgency-hit district of Balochistan and soon after the earthquake, Army and Frontier Corps started relief activities that were strongly opposed by the Baloch hardliner nationalist parties and militant groups.

Since then, incidents of clashes between various militants and the security forces are pouring in from the area while Pak Army has categorically stated that no operation is being conducted in any part of Balochistan, including Awaran.