ISLAMABAD - Pakistan on Wednesday summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner JP Singh to record protest over Indian Army’s firing across the Line of Control (LoC) in Lipa Sector that killed two women.

The Foreign Office handed over a protest letter to Singh and condemned India’s act of “targeting the civilians.”

India has also been reminded about the 2003 ceasefire agreement, said a statement released by the foreign ministry.

“Indian army used artillery, heavy mortars and automatic guns during shelling in villages Qaisar Kot and Nokot in Lipa sector,” said the statement.

Two women identified as Maryam and Sumaira Younus were killed, while Muhammad Shakeel, Muhammad Anwar, Munir Ahmad, Zeeshan, Rafiq Ahmad and Nasreen were wounded.

Since partition of British India in 1947, Pakistan and India have been involved in four wars - including one undeclared war.

All of them except the 1971 war, were fought on Kashmir.

The war of 1971 resulted in the fall of Dhaka.

India has intensified violations along the LoC after the US promised a greater role for New Delhi for the resolution of the Afghanistan issue.

Pakistan claims India’s engagement in Afghanistan will aggravate the situation instead of resolving the issue.

Islamabad also blames India of using Afghanistan soil against Pakistan.

Pak-India relations have been far from normal in the recent months.

In July 2016, a Kashmiri freedom fighter – Burhan Wani - was killed by the Indian forces.

This was followed by protests in the held Kashmir and use of power by India to crush the demonstrators – dozens were killed.

In September last year, 19 Indian soldiers were killed in an attack in Uri, held Kashmir.

India blamed Pakistan for supporting the attackers.

Islamabad denied any role.

Director-General South Asia Mohammed Faisal summoned the senior Indian diplomat and condemned the unprovoked ceasefire violations.

“Despite calls for restraint, India continues to indulge in ceasefire violations. In 2017 to date, Indian forces have carried out more than 1,150 ceasefire violations along the LoC and the Working Boundary, resulting in the death of 49 innocent civilians and injuries to 165, as compared to 382 ceasefire violations in 2016,” said the statement.

It added: “The deliberate targeting of civilians is indeed deplorable and contrary to human dignity and international human rights and humanitarian laws. The ceasefire violations by India are a threat to regional peace and security and may lead to a strategic miscalculation.”

The director general asked the Indian side to respect the 2003 Ceasefire arrangement, investigate this and other incidents of ceasefire violations, instruct the Indian forces to respect the ceasefire, in letter and spirit and maintain peace on the LoC and the Working Boundary.

He urged that the Indian side should permit the United Nations observers to play their mandated role as per the Security Council resolutions.