KABUL (AFP) - Insurgents killed another five US soldiers in Afghanistans southern Taliban stronghold, NATO said Friday, with their commander poised to request more troops to avoid failure in the eight-year war. Two soldiers were killed outright and three later died of their injuries in a trio of separate incidents on Thursday, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said Friday. Two members were killed and one died from wounds as a result of an improvised explosive device (IED) detonation, ISAF said, referring to the remote-controlled bombs that have become the scourge of troops in Afghanistan. One service member died of gunshot wounds from an insurgent attack and one service member died of wounds sustained in an insurgent attack while on patrol, the statement added. NATO and the United States have more than 100,000 troops in Afghanistan fighting a Taliban-led insurgency, which is at its deadliest level in the eight years since the 2001 US-led invasion ousted the Taliban regime in Kabul. The ISAF statement quoted US spokeswoman Captain Regina Gillis as confirming the five dead soldiers were from the United States. According to the independent icasualties website, which keeps a tally of military deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq, 371 foreign troops have died in Afghanistan so far this year, compared to 294 for all of 2008. Of those deaths, 213 are US military personnel, the site says.