WANA (AFP/Reuters/Online) - At least four security personnel including a Pak Army Major were killed when jets and helicopter gunships pounded militant positions in South Waziristan on Wednesday, officials said, in a fresh assault on Taliban rebels in the lawless tribal belt. The bombardment in the northwest region bordering Afghanistan comes after the death of Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud and as analysts urge Pakistan to exploit apparent rifts in the militant leadership. Helicopter gunships attacked militant hideouts in Madi Jam, an area 20 km east of South Waziristans main town of Wana, on Wednesday after Taliban attacked a military convoy, killing four security personnel including a Pak Army Major, officials and residents said. Nine others were injured in the operation against militants. Security forces killed seven to ten militants and scores of others were injured in South Waziristan. The Major killed in the operation was identified as Amjad Raza. Residents in Wana saw armoured personnel carriers heading towards Madi Jam. Helicopters dropped leaflets asking people to leave the fighting area, Mohammad Aslam, a resident of Madi Jam, told Reuters by telephone. This is basically a road clearance operation. Gunships and heavy artillery are taking part. Jet fighters also bombed their positions, a military official based in Peshawar told AFP. A security official said paramilitary forces were clearing about 20 kilometres of road from South Waziristan to the neighbouring Dera Ismail Khan district to make it secure for paramilitary and military movement. We are facing some minor resistance, militants are firing rockets and using other weapons, the security official said. The military official in Peshawar said: Two paramilitary troops were martyred and seven injured during two days of operations. Several militants have been killed and an unknown number of them injured in the operation. Military in late April launched an offensive against the Taliban in Swat valley and claims to have eliminated extremists there. The government then vowed to take on the Taliban leadership entrenched in South Waziristan, but despite sporadic air assaults there has been no sign of a full-scale military offensive. Taliban on Tuesday finally confirmed the death of their leader Baitullah Mehsud after a US drone missile strike on August 5. They named young militant commander Hakimullah Mehsud his successor, and he swiftly vowed fresh attacks.