THE main problem with the PPP government's suspension and then reinstatement of the SSP Islamabad, has been thrown in a poor light, which it does not want to happen at this juncture when India is creating a war scare, and other powers are breathing down its neck. PM's Interior Adviser Rehman Malik reacted swiftly when it was revealed that there had been a major theft from the Aabpara Police Station's Maalkhana of automatic weapons, including dozens of assault rifles, grenades and thousands of bullets, seized during the Lal Masjid Operation in July 2007, by the security agencies. The PM's Adviser had acted swiftly, and had suspended several police officials, including the SSP Islamabad, as well as ordering an enquiry to be held at once. The government was seen as not fully in charge of the situation, which it could not be so long as the arms remained outside its reach, but reacting correctly. However, now that Mr Ahmad Latif has been restored as SSP Islamabad, allegedly on the intervention of the Presidency, which was approached by the Prime Minister, there are two natural consequences. First, the other officials suspended, which include the subdivisional ASP and the SHO Aabpara, will probably also be restored. Second, the enquiry, which was entrusted to a DIG, Inayat Ullah Farooq, will not follow the normal course of an uncovering of the truth, but will be used to cover the officials suspended specifically to stop them improperly influencing the enquiry. That PM's Interior Adviser Rehman Malik has been shown as clearly not in charge of the capital's police probably does not matter in the face of these, but the mystery remains: how did the grand theft take place? More important, who is now armed? Either those previously unarmed are armed, or else those previously well-armed are now better armed. Those responsible for the theft do not have any good intentions. Whoever had the SSP restored, did the entire nation no service. The government also must decide if it wants to be seen as not controlling its own capital.