KARACHI - The Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) Karachi chapter on Saturday staged a protest demonstration outside the Karachi Press Club against the Sindh government for not referring the murder case of JUI-F Sindh leader and former Senator, Dr Khalid Mehmood Soomro, to the military court.

A large number of protesters, carrying placards and banner, raised slogans against the Sindh government. They alleged that the government is giving the arrested accused of this murder 'special protocol' in jail. Addressing the protesters, JUI-F Sindh Naib Ameer Qari Usman said the Sindh government has compelled them to take to the streets. He said the murderers of Soomro have been arrested but their statements are not being recorded as yet. He alleged that the provincial government is providing VIP protocol to six arrested culprits in jail.

He said, “Being patriots, we support peace and do not want to fan conflicts in the country.”

Usman warned the Sindh government that if the murder case of Soomro is not sent to military court by January 25, 2016, then the activists of the JUI-F will reach Karachi on January 25, 2016 and cordon off the Chief Minister House till their demand is meet. Other leaders Dr Naseeruddin Sawati, Maulana Abdul Kareem Abid, Maulana Umar Sadiq, Maulana Ahsanullah Takarwi and Mufti Abdul Haq Usmani also spoke.

The JUI-F held massive demos and rallies in different cities and towns of Sindh, raising the demand to try the case of murder of JUI-F Sindh leader Dr Khalid Mahmood Soomro in a military court. The unprecedented protest forced the Sindh government to give a written undertaking for the trial of Dr Soomro murder case in the military court.

On the call of JUI-F, a massive rally was staged in Larkana. A large number of the JUI-F activists reached the Naudero Sugar Mill Bypass where they held a huge protest demonstration, chanting slogans against the Sindh government for its failure to transfer Dr Khalid Mahmood Soomro's murder case to military court.

They staged a sit-in there due to which the roads leading to Larkana, Sukkur and Garhi Khuda Bakhsh remained blocked and thousands of vehicles came to standstill. The protest continued for six long hours.

The rally was led by JUI-F Sindh Secretary General Maulana Rashid Khalid Mahmood Soomro, Maulana Nasir Khalid Mahmood Soomro, Maulana Abdul Qudoos Panhwar, Abdul Salam Dharejo, Tariq Panhwar and other leaders.

The angry protesters holding cudgels in their hands refused to allow the official convoy of Sindh Assembly Speaker Agha Siraj Durrani and forced him to return back.

There were minor disputes between them and the cops who were providing security but no untoward incident took place.

Finally, Commissioner Ghulam Akbar Laghari and DIGP Sain Rakhio Mirani rushed there and held talks with the JUI-F leadership and an undertaking was signed by them on behalf of Sindh Chief Minister.

The undertaking said: "We on behalf of the Sindh CM and Government of Sindh do undertake that, the case of Shaheed Allama Dr Khalid Mahmood Soomro, will be sent up to military court for trial up to 07.01.2016 after completing code formalities. The legal heirs of Shaheed Dr Khalid Mahmood Soomro have given undertaking that there would be no protest up to 26.01.2016".

The undertaking was jointly signed by Maulana Rashid Mahmood Soomro, Commissioner Ghulam Akbar Laghari and DIGP Sain Rakhio Mirani.

Addressing the protesters, Maulana Rashid Mahmood Soomro said that they have been forced to come out on roads as the promises made by the Sindh chief minister and MNA Faryal Talpur have been proved false and fabricated. He appealed to the PPP workers to come out and join hands for the arrest of Benazir Bhutto's killers.

Rashid Soomro said that the Commissioner and DIGP Larkana Division have given undertaking in writing on behalf of the CM and Sindh Government that the case will be transferred to military court within ten days adding, he warned, saying if this written commitment is not honoured then they will stage sit-in in front of Chief Minister House in Karachi on January 26, 2016. The protest and sit-in was then called off.