Mexico City - A man believed to be the world's most obese died on Friday in Mexico, barely two months after undergoing a weight-loss surgery.

Andres Moreno, 38, died of a heart attack and peritonitis (inflammation of the abdominal lining) in Ciudad Obregon, in Sonora state, his family said. Moreno, who at one time tipped the scales at 450 kilos, had bariatric surgery on October 28, in Guadalajara, Jalisco state, in hopes of shedding the excess weight and leading a normal life, Xinhua news agency reported. The surgery involved removing three-fourths of his stomach and reshaping what was left into a tube to "prevent him from eating too much", the Medical Daily reported in October. While the operation was considered a success, the ex-policeman complained of feeling ill on Christmas Eve, "and his family called on fire-fighters to help stabilise him", state news agency Notimex reported.

Early on Christmas Day, he was having difficulty in breathing and family members decided to have him taken to the hospital in an ambulance, but he died on the way. The "Most Obese Man in the World" had shed 100 kilos to be able to undergo the surgical procedure in October. On November 19, Moreno had emergency surgery at the local State General Hospital (HGE) in Ciudad Obregon, due to severe peritonitis. He then returned to Guadalajara to convalesce under the supervision of the same medical team as before, and had returned home a few days ago, Notimex said. Last month he made a public appeal for help to overcome his problem after tipping the scales as Britain’s fattest man and was inundated with offers. Doctors warned he could be faced with death if efforts were not made to shed at least 45 stone. Mr Thompson said: ‘Any professional opinion or other knowledge would be great. I’ve had a lot of that coming in anyway but the more the better.

‘I could die, that’s the bottom line if I keep going the way I do. ‘Because of what I eat I’m missing out on everything in life.’ Unable to leave the house to go food shopping, the 33-year-old lived on Chinese takeaways and pizzas that he had delivered to his door. He also claimed to have spent £10 a day on chocolate, relying on benefits to pay for his junk food.

While Mr Thompson attributed most of his weight gain to the death of his mother, he admitted that he had always 'loved' food. 'I was only about three or four and no one knew why I did it. I would just eat anything out of the cupboards,' he said. When his mother died of a brain tumour in 2012, he turned to unhealthy food as a means of coping with his grief.

His weight soon doubled from 30stone to 65, leaving him unable to work. Mr Thompson spent the last few years in and out of hospital, where he was treated for a range of ailments including septicemia.