MULTAN

Former prime minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gillani has asked Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to take the nation into confidence on operation against Taliban and call a joint session of parliament on this issue.

Talking to journalists, he added that although all the political parties had authorised the government in All Parties Conference to take a decision regarding tackling with Taliban, it could not make a decision whether to hold talks or launch operation.

He said that the law and order situation in the country was unsatisfactory in the country. “We had restricted terrorists to North Waziristatan. We could not uproot terrorism as our term ended and caretakers came for elections,” he claimed.

Referring to PPPP’s policy of reconciliation, he said that it was not just Shaheed Benazir Bhutto’s vision or PPPP’s policy, rather it was the manifesto of PPPP based on the Charter of Democracy signed by two former prime ministers. He claimed that the PPPP implemented 85 percent of the CoD. “If the PML-N wants to implement the remaining 15 percent, we’ll support them,” he declared.

To a question, he said that the PPPP and PML-N were accused of fixing turns for coming into power but it was just an allegation. “My both sons, I and even our party chief Asif Ali Zardari are facing courts while my one son is kidnapped. Still they claim that we have fixed turns,” he lamented.

To another query, he said, “I was summoned by the court and appeared before it. We respect courts. Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, Asif Ali Zardari and party’s two last prime ministers have appeared before the courts,” he added. He said that the PPPP gave Constitution and if it declined to respect the courts, no one would do it too. On Pak-Iran Gas Pipeline Project, he said that it was an inevitable project to get the country rid of energy crisis. “It must be completed as soon as possible,” he added.

GAS SUPPLY PLEDGED: Federal Textile Secretary Rukhsana Shah has said that steps are being taken to supply gas and electricity to the textile industry on priority basis. Talking to local industrialists here on Wednesday, she added that the government was aware of needs of industry and all out measures were being adopted to end energy crisis. Visiting University College of Textile Engineering, she assured the college administration that all-out support would be given for the accreditation of University College of Textile Engineering.