LAHORE - The gang rape with a teenage girl led by Adnan Sanaullah, a former office bearer of PML-N Youth Wing, remained the most-attention grabbing case at the Lahore High Court during the last week.

Justice Shahid Hameed Dar summoned the accused for next week while observing that although gang rape was a shameful act, more shameful act in such heinous crime is the victim’s denial.

The judge passed this order on an appeal filed by Punjab prosecution department.

Earlier, a sessions court granted bail to Sanaullah after the victim girl submitted an affidavit in favour of the prime suspect in gang-rape.

The prosecution department through its appeal said that the affidavit filed by the girl before the trail court was a result of immense pressure exerted on her family by the accused party. Whereas, the victim in her first statement before a judicial magistrate had maintained that Adnan Sanaullah was prime suspect of the gang rape.

The prosecution prayed to the court to declare the affidavit submitted by the victim as null and void and cancel the bail granted to the suspect.

On December 26, a 15-year-old resident of Multan Road was allegedly kidnapped by eight men and raped in a local hotel on The Mall.

The victim family learnt about the assault when one of the alleged rapists sent a text message from his cellphone telling that their daughter was lying unconscious in a hotel room.

The family and police searched a number of hotels in the area before they found the teenage girl, still unconscious after being forced to drink strong liquor. She was rushed to the Services Hospital where she is still receiving treatment. Her condition is reported to be stable now.

According to her mother, the girl was on her way to a tailor shop with her brother when some unidentified men bundled her into a car and drove away. Detectives lodged an FIR against eight persons and nominated Adnan Sanaullah as the main suspect. They are accused of rape under Section 376 of the Pakistan Penal Code and conspiracy under Section 506.

Another case taken up by the LHC was about the advertisements of Hakeems (quacks), black magic and pornographic segments on TV channels. The court was told by Pemra officials that such ads were not permissible under its code of conduct devised in 2015. According to the Pemra counsel, the allegations levelled by the petitioner were general in nature as no specific licensee (channel) was identified which blatantly violated the code of conduct.

Justice Syed Mansoor Ali Shah who held the proceedings directed the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority to strictly ensure implementation of its code of conduct and clamp down channels and cable operators showing pornography, black magic and quackery through advertisements and television commercials.

The judge also expressed his concern over recovery of Rs50 as PTV fee in the electricity bills without any legal protection.

A deputy attorney general, however, failed to give a satisfactory reply on the matter, and the judge directed PTV Managing Director to furnish a reasonable reply on next hearing. Further hearing would be resumed on June 29.

During the week, the high court also ordered cane commissioner to seal Brother Sugar Mills for defaulting on payment of farmers against supply of sugarcane. A number of farmers had approached the court against non-payment of their money.

Punjab Cane Commissioner Waqas Ahmad told the court that the sugar mills defaulted Rs670 million last year and Rs170 million this year. He said the mills managements failed to make payments due to financial crisis.

At this, Justice Shah ordered the cane commissioner to seal the Brother Sugar Mills and also directed IGP to assist the commissioner to achieve the task.

The judge further observed that the mills would be put on auction if its managements failed to come up with a payment plan on next hearing. The court would resume hearing by July 12.

Besides that, the LHC constituted an inquiry committee comprising director generals of three public departments to probe the deaths took place at under-construction route of Orange Line project and to review protective measures there. A division bench headed by Justice Abid Aziz Sheikh and Justice Shahid Karim heard the case and put off further hearing until June 27.

At lower courts, two important cases were reported during the week. One case was about the indictment of six members of a banned outfit which attacked Sri Lankan cricket team in 2009.

The suspects pleaded not guilty and announced to contest trial during an in-camera hearing in Kot Lakhpat jail. They include Obaidullah, Javed Anwar, Ibrahim Khalil, Abdul Wahab, Zubair and Adnan Arshad. The first three suspects were on bail while other languishing behind the bars.

In this case, the court had already declared two suspects, Mohsin Rasheed and Abdul Rehman, proclaimed offenders. The presiding judge, Chaudhry Azam summoned prosecution witnesses on June 30. The alleged mastermind of the attack, Malik Ishaq, was killed last year in July during a cross fire between personnel of counter terrorism department and militants who tried to free their leader from the custody of the force in Muzaffargarh. The Gulberg police had registered a case against Ishaq and others for their involvement in the attack.

A bus carrying the guest team was attacked with AK-47 rifles and grenades at Liberty Chowk, near Qaddafi Stadium on March 3, 2009. Seven players and an assistant coach were wounded while eight Pakistanis killed in the attack.